SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annale_gw

Kitchen Cabinet Finish Help, to glaze or not to glaze?

annale
14 years ago

Hi everyone, I am half way though a complete kitchen remodel and have relied on the wisdom of you all to get me this far. I am a bit stuck on one issue, and couldn't find much regarding the topic of glazing versus not glazing wood cabinets.

Our overall look is an updated traditional, with clean lines but with old world touches. We have a golden oak hardwood floor, warm-neutral polished granite countertops, a creamy honed marble subway tile backsplash, and all stainless professional-style appliances.

The area in which I am stuck is with the cabinet finish. We have custom cabinets with a pretty simple raised panel door and five-piece drawers in cherry. We wanted a warm but dark look for the finish. I now need to decide if I want to glaze them or not.

I like the way the glaze brings out the detail in the paneling, but with the darker stain I wonder if I am paying the extra $3000 and won't really notice it. Also, the glaze seems to make the wood grain much more subtle, and I'm not sure if that is a good or bad thing.

Would love everyone's thoughts... I am putting a picture link below (found via google images) that had our original inspiration kitchen.

http://kitchenzremodeling.com/kitchensremodeling.jpg

Comments (5)