SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
theresse_gw

Hey - I'm not dead! NEW contractor starts tomorrow...

theresse
12 years ago

Hi anyone who remembers me... !!

I haven't written because there was nothing to tell for a very long time...

So recap:

I have an 11 x 12' kitchen in a 1913 house. All cabinets except the lowers under the long countertop are original - and pretty cool (lead paint issue aside). Countertop wasn't original, nor was sink, faucet or backsplash tile. So I had a contractor rebuild the lower cabs, put shaker inset doors on, a Rohl Shaws farm sink (30" wide) an ultra cool Jaclo wall-mounted gooseneck faucet, and I paid a fabricator to install a stainless countertop just to be, I don't know, funky but still maintain a period look somehow (was pretending it was zinc of yesteryear only of course more durable). I also had a tile installer put in 2x6" white honed calacatta marble subway tile for the backsplash.

Contractor - nice man as he was - made some pretty big goof-ups on the cabinetry and others suggested he go away and someone repair and rebuild where necessary (e.g. face frame definitely needed rebuilding). He also accidentally gave the sink hairline fractures around the drain from most likely over-tightening the flange.

Guy #2 was about to start work (after I'd checked several references and checked his license and his record, etc.). He'd been recommended by a wood-provider company and he seemed very socially normal and articulate, etc., when he came to evaluate the kitchen situation. He asked for $2k down, and when I asked for us to hurry up and write up a contract he freaked out on me, saying he's "all about a handshake and a smile" - yes you heard me right!! Isn't that HILARIOUS? He said for such a small job, I shouldn't need a contract, even though he apparently had nothing to fear/to hide (he checked out). I told him that any down payment or any work expected to be over $2,000 means a contract is required after which he got very angry at me for being so formal and said things like "look I know you're jaded and all..." HAHAHAHA okay so needless to say, he's gone now. You guys would have been proud of me. I finally sorta went off on a contractor, telling him his degree of anger and emotional intensity over something so small and standard is not only off-putting but it's very inappropriate and unprofessional considering we don't even really know each other! He then said that he's been having a rough time lately, though in no apologetic voice (oh...my...GOD!!!) so I then said that we all have our rough lives, believe me, but that it's not my business and that once again he's lacking boundaries. I delivered all this in a very calm voice, never blowing up as he had on me but being very clear and assertive at the same time. He maintained an attitude but I could tell deep down he was ashamed and knew better.

Guy #3... coming tomorrow... 3x a charm, right? LET'S HOPE SO! My neighbor, a very respected wood floors contractor was disgusted to hear all I'd been through and highly recommended this new guy, saying I should have asked him who he recommended, all along! He said this contractor writes up very clear, well-written contracts and views this as standard procedure. He said he's worked with him over the years and that he's seen his work in several kitchens and he's good. He said he's professional (no emotional blowing up about a contract, for instance!) and kind, and very capable. His prices are reasonable.

The new sink is on hold and he'll bring it tomorrow and replace the old sink, and continue on from there.

Please everyone... FINGERS CROSSED! Lol.

Thanks for listening!

xo Theresse

Comments (17)