SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
northcarolina_gw

My turn for backsplash opinions? - and sneak peek

northcarolina
11 years ago

I was going to wait to do the backsplash but am already tired of looking at unfinished walls. What do you all think? This is a 1940's house and I am leaning toward ceramic/porcelain, not glass or stone. The default option would be white ceramic, and the off-the-shelf white tile at Lowe's coordinates well with the cabs (that's what's taped up behind the sink).

Still, the kitchen looks very stark to me with all the white that's in there now. (The wall color is yet to be determined. The rest of the room is a cream/yellow and that would be the easiest since there is no dividing line to stop a paint color, plus I like it.) If we use white tile it could be in an interesting pattern to give it some texture. But I am torn about using color instead. On the one hand, it would add depth and interest. On the other hand, I'm not so sure about having a belt of color around the midsection of the kitchen -- a color that would probably not be repeated elsewhere. And I haven't liked any of the other tiles I've brought home. The gray ones were depressing; some of the blues and greens were pretty against the countertops but none of them were tiles I'd actually buy (either small mosaics or something like the latest crop, which is crackle tile [no] that is $30/s.f. and apparently the closest thing the showroom had to "old-fashioned ceramic").

I am toying with the idea of Mexican talavera tiles. Some of you might remember I also toyed with the idea of red lower cabinets. I like a lot of the talavera tiles I've seen in pictures. Not sure I'd like them in this kitchen in reality; I'd have to see them in person to know. I told one tile saleslady I liked them, and her take was that since I am drawn to stronger colors, I would be better off sticking with white (or other neutral) tile and bringing in color in other ways.

So what do you all think? What would fit this kitchen and not break the bank (let's try staying under $15/sf)? If it matters, the white appliances are staying for the time being; the fridge will be the next one due for replacement. And our dogs are brown/black/white. :)

Please excuse the not-ready-for-prime-time photos. These are not beauty shots by any stretch and the kitchen is still unfinished (sorry about the box of tile on the counter; at least I got the dish drainer out of the way for you all).

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (12)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals