SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stevie_2010

Smoke alarm keeps going off!

stevie_2010
14 years ago

Does anyone have this problem? My recent kitchen renovation brought my 1937 house up to code, which included putting in new smoke alarms all over the house that are wired into the electricity (not just battery-powered ones like we used to have). But whenever I have more than one thing going in the kitchen (e.g. boiling water and frying something simultaneously, or sauteing and baking at the same time) my smoke alarm goes off! Then every alarm in the house goes off. This completely freaks out my 4 year old! So I have to get up on a stool, push a little button on the detector, turn up the vent, go soothe my child. By the time I get done with all this whatever was on the stove really has burned.

It seems to be better if I put my vent on high every time. But why should I have to have a vent on if I am just boiling water? My vent is really noisy and part of my otr microwave. I didn't think to try it out before it was installed because I didn't really plan to use it that much. (My old kitchen had no vent at all.) When the vent is on high I can't hear my kids elsewhere in the house very well. This is so frustrating.

Comments (10)