SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andreas_project

Please advise: Franke vs Shaw farmhouse sink?

andreas_project
12 years ago

We are doing a cosmetic remodel of the kitchen in the house we just bought (our first). It's all happening very quickly because we need to move asap and I'm overwhelmed by all the design decisions. Most pressing dilemma--which farmhouse sink?

It's going to be a white kitchen with hopefully a classic but modern feel, very much a working kitchen. Carrera countertops, stainless appliances. House is colonial style but we're in CA so take that with a grain of salt (not my personal favorite style, but right layout, right school district--probably why I'm a little stumped on the design end of things now).

My first thought was to do the classic Shaw farmhouse sink, 36" size--and I've read how many of you have sung its praises here. Kitchen designer and husband have both voted for the Franke FHK710 fireclay apron front sink (33 or 36" TBD). A little deeper, good drain offset, squarer lines, not as thick. Aesthetically probably a better choice for our look. BUT the Shaw is the classic, right? Is the Franke basically a copycat? Or are other brands of farmhouse sink just as respectable as Shaw? I want honest, longlasting style, not something that's a fad. Is this choice like Mercedes vs BMW, or like Gucci vs. trendy knockoff? OK, I may not not have my analogies right-- I'm clearly out of my element here!

I would very much appreciate your thoughts on this issue and if you have the Franke sink, I'd love to hear your experience with it. Thanks to all so far who have helped this extreme newbie with advice on kitchen design so far, and thanks once again.

Comments (8)