SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosieo_gw

Cabinets - So much conflicting information!

rosieo
12 years ago

Even on here. I've spent days researching cabinet lines, and types, and construction. And everyone has a differing opinion. All plywood vs particleboard (oops, I see they call it furnitureboard now - doesn't that sound nicer than particleboard?)

Dovetail is best. Maybe. But some say staples and glue are fine, plywood warps so it's no better than particleboard, and solid wood isn't perfect either.

I like the rounded/arch styles. Nope, that looks dated, can't have that. Well, I'll get it anyway, I just won't show it on KF. Lol. Great, I'm not only talking to myself - I'm arguing.

One Lowes salesman told me Kraftmaid is the best, another one steered me towards Diamond (the Prelude style I liked was surprisingly inexpensive and seemed to me to be as good as the Kraftmaid.) One said no need to upgrade to all plywood, the other said it's a must.

I got a quote on the Diamond Prelude for around $6,000 (Lowes is having a pretty good sale) and that included all the extras I wanted. Is it worth it to torture a local cabinet maker to get another quote or will he just laugh at me for trying to get decent cabs for $6,000?

At this point I just want to write a check and be done with it. No wait, that's the wrong attitude.

Man, I didn't think it would be this complicated! I just wanna stick my head in an oven. Gas or electric? Smoothtop, coils or induction? AAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHH

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Ngrained Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Custom Woodworking, Décor, and More in Franklin County