SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ocjeff

Pendant & Under Cabinet Lighting Questions

OCJeff
12 years ago

I have two questions about lighting for my kitchen renovation.

1) Pendant Lights... What is the proper spacing for pendant lights? Our island is 6 feet wide, and will have seating for 2. I'm not sure if we should go with 2 or 3 pendant lights - should they just go over the seating positions? should this be a measurement (1.5 feet from edge, then 3 foot gap, and then 1.5 feet from edge)? or just where ever I think they look best? Centered on island (front/back) or focused over seating positions? Is there any science to this?

2) Under cabinet lights... I debating between fluorescent lighting, or dimmable xenon/halogen (may upgrade later to xenon). But my question is about positioning. If I put in the florescent should it go closest to the wall facing the kitchen, or should they go closest to the kitchen, facing the wall? Does it matter? Should I just go with Xenon/Halogen (in the middle) up front and skip the fluorescent? I know I would like them dimmable, but it's an easy enough thing to change later.

The under cabinet lighting question is the more pressing question, as I will need that dine in the next 2 weeks, but the Pendant lights are probably a few months off.

Comments (7)