SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dirtymartini_gw

'antique white' kitchen cabinets=too country?

dirtymartini
14 years ago

This is my first post here! We recently bought a 1970's ranch style home on an acre. I don't want the interior "modern" obviously, but i don't want it country, either. We picked a beautiful, medium colored wood floor to go throughout the house. I have always wanted wood cabinets in my kitchen, but now we are realizing the wood cabinets, with the wood floor...well, it is just too much wood. They match too well (kitchen is dark with no natural light, so I do not want dark cabinets...and I just don't like light wood cabinets.) To top it all off....our budget is not allowing for granite right now, so looks like the best and cheapest option for us will be butcher block counters that my hubby will install himself.

After looking online at butcher block counters, I noticed they look best with the white or off white cabinets....especially when there are wood floors. I do not want stark white, but I do like antique white. Will these cabinets along with a BB counter make my house look too country? I do not even like "shabby chic" or "pottery barn" styles. I like old spanish, or retro, or clean lines (NOT modern) and I like to mix things up...I just don't want it to look too contrived, if you know what I mean.

Our dining room will be visible from the kitchen, and I am getting the dining table I grew up with...a dark wood, spanish looking table with a china hutch, too.

Thanks for any input, sorry so lengthy!

Comments (3)