SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beekeeperswife_gw

Calling Funcolors--Can You Help Me?

beekeeperswife
13 years ago

Hi Funcolors,

I have a problem, and I hope you can help. I have essentially painted myself into a corner in my house.

Here is the background. Enter through the front door of my house, to the left is my dining room, painted in BM Chocolate Candy Brown on top and Cameo White on the bottom.

The 2 story foyer/entry is going to be painted BM Baltic Gray, with the ceiling (17ft high) in BM Wrought Iron, high gloss.

Straight back is the kitchen/family room. It is also a gray color (I wanted to tweek it, but too many said to leave it alone) it is Valspar Coastal Villa, and the Fireplace wall is darker--Valspar Italian Leather.

So here's the problem: the room to the right when you walk through the front door, across from the dining room is the living room. There is a double window facing almost West. Directly across from that window is a wide opening to the family room, where you see the Coastal Villa and the dark fireplace wall.

My painter came the other night and he will do whatever I want, but he is afraid if I do a gray, it will be just too much. Possibly. I had tossed out the idea of doing this room in a much lighter color, and use the grays as accents. I was worried it might not look balanced and he agreed. It would look odd when you come in. So he has suggested a saturated lighter color. (Not sure if that is the right term), but nothing too dark, there is a dark large piece of furniture in this room, or we would just go with the Chocolate Candy Brown and call it a day.

After I nixed the golds and oranges he was pulling out (TOO TUSCAN) I found the greens in the Affinity deck. At first we were leaning towards the Wasabi, but I really don't care for it when I see it in the light. I also like Agave, and now possibly BM Dill Pickle. Do you have any ideas or thoughts? Decorating wise, we are leaning more towards transitional/modern looks. Only thing we are keeping in the Living Room is a big piece of furniture, dark cherry desk with hutch on top.

I have this Agave color in other parts of the downstairs as accent colors: the dining room's curtains have this color in them, the powder room is a bright green background with birch trees wallpaper, there are pear green pillows on the white couch, there is a vintage pear green chair in the family room.

I even was thinking of the idea of a rich purple, this would work nicely with the grays, but I'm afraid of it being too dark. And also, even though I adore the purple with the grays, I'm worried it will look out of place because there is no purple anywhere else.

I'll post some pictures of the other rooms, and I hope you can help me.

Here are some photos to give you an idea.

From the kitchen looking at the family room, the door to the living room is on the right, towards the fireplace .

{{gwi:1825045}}

From the doorway between the family room and living room, looking towards the kitchen.

{{gwi:1553433}}

This is the paper in my bathroom, this is just a stock photo.

{{gwi:1610037}}

View of Dining Room from Foyer

And just to give you an idea of the doorway to the living room, here is a photo of it. Ignore the poster boards (Dior Gray?) and the current wall color. Even the clock is a gonner. But that dark doorway is where the living room is.

{{gwi:1780092}}

Comments (16)