SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beth09

This new kid could really use your help.

beth09
10 years ago

Hi all,

I found this site several weeks ago and have found so many of you so knowledgable, experienced and helpful. So I'm hoping somone can help me with this quandry.

I have been a cream/light paint on walls person all my life, but decided to go with real color as we repainted the whole house since I quit smoking. Also new carpet throughout and new livingroom furniture. (since all the kids are gone now)

Everything went great, except the livingroom. Long story short, I will have to repaint, after I pick the furniture, again. Thankfully providence stepped in and I was able to send back the last stuff (that did not look right on carpet) due to flaws. However, I now have chocolate brown carpeting that's not going anywhere. And I wouldn't mind that at all, if it didn't possess a chameleon like personality. It will go from dark chocolate (the actual name of it) to semi-sweet, to something with a reddish tint. And therein lies the problem. Whatever fabrics (I am able to choose my fabrics) I get that look good, it's not across the board on lighting circumstances. The red is throwing a kink in everything. It looks reddish in bright natural morning light and at night with lamps.

So for anyone who has run across this, what colors did you use? I have read blue/green. My brother who was a tinter in a paint factory suggested something with red in it, but not obviously, like olive green.

I have found that using combos in a pattern like chocolate brown with anything that has any yellow in it (i.e. cream, etc.), colors look great at certain times, but clash with the red. Frustrating. I would go with all white as it would really pop on the carpet, but that is simply not practical.

So, I'm all ears for any words of wisdom. And I wish I would have posted here before I did this.... *sigh*

Thank you in advance.

Comments (12)