SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oceanna_gw

Gallery Glass Window Finished!

oceanna
16 years ago

My son sent me a picture of the sidelight window I did for him next to his front door. I have since evened out the greens better, but that's the only change. The blue horizontal band toward the bottom of the picture is his front porch railing, not part of the window. The outer band is a pale turquoise, and the center is clear. It's hard to photograph, sorry.

{{gwi:1855377}}

Comments (32)

• mitchdesj
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Absolutely beautiful, how talented you are.

• msrose
    16 years ago

That looks great! We have a window like that by our front door and have talked about doing something similar, but just haven't gotten around to finding someone that can do it.

Laurie

• Related Discussions

New ! Mini-Flora 'Ingrid' rose Gallery now finish.

Q

Comments (1)
    Absolutely gorgeous! Thanks for the photos. Shady Gardem
    ...See More

NEW ! Mini-Flora 'Ingrid' rose Gallery now finish.

Q

Comments (0)
    The Mini-Flora 'Ingrid' rose Gallery is finally finish. The gallery is now on my web-site : "Roses of Excellence" http://www3.telus.net/georgemander/ Next click : *New!* Gallery Page updated with Mini-Flora 'Ingrid' gallery! There are 18 of my BEST images from about 200 photos I took over the last two years. Make sure you click the zoom button for a larger view in new window ! The gallery also incorporates my story : " Introducing 'Ingrid' " Have fun looking at the photos. George Mander Here is a link that might be useful: Roses of Excellence
    ...See More

How to thin Gallery Glass?

Q

Comments (2)
    Don't they have some kind of thinner ? I thought they would.If they have a website - you can write to them and ask. I used them long ago - if they are waterbased - just use water . WHy don't you take a small piece of glass & experiment with the paint & water - and if that doesn't work - go to paint thinner or alcohol . Trial & error ... *smile* !
    ...See More

Gallery Glass Wine Bottles

Q

Comments (2)
    I'll head over to your album to take a look. I've never tried gallery glass, although I've admired seeing the projects others have made with it. I don't usually sell, just paint and do crafts for myself and to use for gifts. It is my creative outlet. However, Anj has been asked to teach projects for a group. She did some glass blocks last time, so she might find these a good project for the group--especially since her DH mastered the art of drilling glass. I'm sure she will be by to take a look soon. Have you found the crafts forum on here? Someone on there was selling lighted bottles decorated with ribbons and flowers on them--very pretty too. And you might find ideas over there for your ladies at the assisted living facility. And somewhere on our gallery is my pic of my "bottle of BOOS" which was just a bottle I painted black and then painted little ghosts on it for Halloween. Glad you are coming by to chat with us, we need more participants on here to make it even more fun. I'm off to see your bottles now. Luvs
    ...See More
  • teeda_2006
    16 years ago

OMG-you are so talented! Is that your own design?? Does this window belong to the same son who is getting the lovely oak coffee table? What a lucky guy!

• skypathway
    16 years ago

gorgeous

• oceanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you Mitchdev!

Thanks, Laurie. I think if you want to find someone who can do it you just need to look in the mirror. :-) You can buy patterns and just trace them right onto your window.

Thanks Teeda. Yes it's my design. Yes, that's my only son, the same one who is getting the coffee table. He does things for me, so I love doing things for him. I have a daughter, SIL and granddaughter too, but I'm sad that they live four states away. I miss them.

• oceanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I think our messages crossed. Thanks! :-)

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

oceanna
    how beautiful!!!! you did an outstanding job! Love it! Ree

• sheesh
    16 years ago

My, my! It's beautiful. Stunning. You're an inspiration! Do you do other kinds of painted art?

Sherry

• les917
    16 years ago

Lovely job, Oceanna. Hard to believe it is Gallery Glass! Your son must be very pleased.

Did you use the ready-made 'lead' strips, or create the 'leading' with the liquid?

One other question - how does the color in the Gallery Glass hold up to light exposure over time? I have been tempted to try it on a side door, but it is west-facing, and gets a lot of sun exposure.

• oceanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ree thank you! Now when are you going to do one?

Sherry thanks! That's exactly what I posted it here for -- to inspire some of you to do your own and post pics of them here. I'd love to see what you would do. Yes, I paint on the walls. I'm not always sure I should have, and I think about painting it back out afterwards. I'm always wanting to change things, you know?

My entry is BORING. It's a tiny landing with stairs up and stairs down. What on earth do you do with that? Here's what I did with mine and I'm still not sure I'm happy with it. You're seeing one wall here but I did both walls up and down and I'm thinking it's a bit much...

{{gwi:1855378}}

I really wish I could have that gorgeous white wainscoating there with the moulding... but I don't know how to execute all the angles of a stairway and faking it with paint didn't seem like a good idea there. I was hoping someone here might know how, but that's another thread for another day.

This is one corner of my living room and I love, love, love Bradbury and Bradbury wallpaper, so I painted my own version:

{{gwi:1855379}}

I painted this over my front door inside, but then decided I didn't like it there and painted it back out:

{{gwi:1855380}}

I painted this over my kitchen sink, but I'm thinking about puttting a valance up there instead (I'm always changing my mind so my house is always a wreck!):

{{gwi:1855381}}

I painted this on one cabinet in my hall bath, but then changed my mind and painted it out:

{{gwi:1855382}}

You seeing a pattern here? lol! I changed my bedroom color about 5 times in 2.5 years and I'm still not happy with it but I at least like the bottom half now. haha

This is what I changed the bathroom cabinet to look like (sorry this is such a poor picture):

{{gwi:1855383}}

Here is some more of that bath:

{{gwi:1855384}}

{{gwi:1855385}}

My darned photo program is ancient and it seems to have corrupted. I'm thinking I'm going to have to buy a new one very soon.

Now I'll bet you're sorry you asked! hehe

• tropical_diva
    16 years ago

This is beautiful! I've been meaning to do this for awhile but our Michaels doesn't have much Gallery Glass product. Where do you get your supplies? And how do you make the textured clear part?

• patricianat
    16 years ago

That not only takes talent, but tenacity beyond comparison. Your work is beautiful. Do you do this professionally? If not, you should!

• oceanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks! You can buy Gallery Glass paints on eBay. I've had trouble finding the leading lines there though. I got that at Michaels. Can you ask your Michaels to order you some stuff?

The textured clear part is so easy you can't believe it. What you see on that window was just making little circles with the bottle tip, or putting a few lines of the clear on and making the circles with the pointy back end of an artist brush, or a toothpick, or knitting needle, or whatever until it's spread evenly all over.

If you look at this window, I just used the bottle tip and the stuff went on awfully thick.

{{gwi:1855386}}

In this closeup you can see I used two different textures on the clear. The outer one was the little swirly circles, but next to the peach band I did straight lines on a slant with a toothpick.

{{gwi:1855387}}

You can do whatever you want with it. I just wish I knew a way to make it look like gluechip, as I just love that stuff.

• kittycat76
    16 years ago

Wow, that's beautiful!! I need to take lessons from you so that I can do that weird window above my fireplace LOL! They are so expensive to get done.

Great job!!!!

• oceanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks! Yeah, I can get really into something I'm doing. Tenacious is one word for it. Other words come to mind, like obsessed, nit-picky, nuts... hehe.

What do you think anyone would pay for this? I would love the money, as it's tough living on a tiny fixed retirement income. But I'm afraid by the time they pay for my hours they'll just want to get real stained glass windows. I'm wide open to ideas, though!

• cliff_and_joann
    16 years ago

Lovely work indeed. It looks very professional.
    How long does it take to do a window? we do stained glass windows, (just for us and family members)
    after I finish the design and cut the pattern, it takes us about two days to do a medium size window with a medium amount of cut glass. If it's a lot of pieces it takes longer.
    Then the glass, solder and foil is expensive as well.
    That's why you need to pay a heap of money for stained glass windows. How long does it take to do a window and what size?
    I think there would be a market for what you're doing, however, it would entail working on site.
    Here is a thought, if you did it on a piece of glass, then you could work at home. You would just have to foil and solder the edge of the glass.

Joann

• brutuses
    16 years ago

Oceanna, very, very beautiful. I can only dream about having your kind of talent and patience!

• oceanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Go to windowbutterflies.com and watch the instructional video she has there. That will teach you a lot. Plus if you want to do it with decals she is wonderfully sweet over the phone and very willing to answer questions. Her paints are just fabulous... but they're for horizontal work, remember. So make decals of the more detailed parts of your window, cut them out, and stick them on. Then connect them with leading lines, and fill in the bigger areas of paint and voila!

I really LOVE that you're thinking of doing that with your fireplace window. I think it could be very unique and stunning. Anyone can throw a vase on a mantlepiece, but you have a chance to have something really special there.

Plus, you can design whatever you want and use whatever colors you have in your room. Why not snoop around the web at stained glass (google images), save your fave pics to a folder, and then sit down and sketch something out? When you get what you like, transfer it to a big sheet of paper that fits your window. I think you'd have a lot of fun with it and you could have a one of a kind masterpiece.

I chatted with a couple of lovely ladies over the web who gave me encouragement to try when I was scared. It's really not hard to do. I'm glad I let them talk me into it. I say go for it! That way you can have exactly what you want -- whatever your heart desires. And when your friends ooo and aaaahhh over it, you can proudly tell them you did it yourself!

• mahatmacat1
    16 years ago

I've never seen the glass paints used so well. Brava!

And the hand-painted "wallpaper": STUNNING. I ache to think that you painted over that beautiful black-and-white (or whatever, high-contrast) design over your door.

• zipdee
    16 years ago

Beautiful, Beautiful!

• oceanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you Flyleft!

Flyleft, it was a dark brown. But it just didn't do anything for the space. I just keep telling myself it's only paint. :-)

I'm not sure what I'm doing to the resale value of this place. I think HGTV would hate it.

• oceanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you!

Do you all think I should repaint my bathroom and stairwell?

• momfromthenorth
    16 years ago

Oceanna, your art work is soooo beautiful. I definitely think there would be a market for your work, even if you have to do it "onsite". You are so talented! You could make up some little business cards and make some examples on framed glass (like in a picture frame), or just take in photos of those windows, and photos of your wall art to show builders and interior designers. Big photos. 8x10 so they can really see the detail. Show folks at your church or any building supply places, or make up some small hanging windows that you could take to art or craft shows to sell. Anything to get the word out. I feel certain there are folks who would pay $20/hr for your gifted work. (That's just a random number; more if you live out east.)

• jaybird
    16 years ago

That window is awesome and the wall painting is unimaginable...how do you have such patience??? It is all truly beautiful!
    A really dumb question here....does this "Gallery Glass" paint fade much????
    TIA for info

• hoyamom
    16 years ago

Oceanna - I just want to say that is amazing. I have a small window in the kid's bathroom that I don't want to cover with a WT and I was thinking about putting those stick on designs. But now, I would love to have a real stained glass piece up there!
    Awesome awesome.
    Thanks for inspiring us.

• oceanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm impressed that you do the real thing! So coming from you I feel honored at your kind words.

Real stained glass is an expensive craft. My DH took a class years ago and did a small one, about a foot square, and it fell apart on him. He was good at working with his hands, too. That scared me off trying it. Can you post pictures of your work please? Did you take a bunch of classes? I figured I don't want the lead in my home as I have four parrots. They aren't let loose in the house, but every so often one will take off and windowsills are a favorite landing spot. If they munched on the lead it would be very serious, maybe fatal for them.

It took time, but I didn't time it, sorry. I'd work an hour here, and three hours there. My very rough guess would be 15-20 hours on that last window -- after doing the design and the pattern. The first one took longer because I was learning -- and I still am. So it's possible I could get faster, more efficient.

Thanks for the interesting thought. You can't get heat around this stuff -- it would melt it. It's kind of like Elmer's glue, and that's what the clear smells like. But I guess I could foil and solder the edges of the glass first? I don't know how to do that. Is there instructions somewhere on the web that you know? I'm wondering if the real foil and solder on the edges would just make GG look more fake?

• mahatmacat1
    16 years ago

Nah, HGTV wouldn't hate it--maybe the dimwit on "What's my house worth?" might, but the folks at "What's with that House?" would love you :)

• oceanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sippimom thanks so much for your kind words and your great ideas. The reason I haven't gone into business doing the wall painting is that I'm no longer a spring chicken. When I work on mine, I work a bit and rest a while, and take my time over a few days to complete whatever project, which also allows layers to dry and not get smeared while I work on an adjacent area. So I'm not so sure that someone would allow me to come back again and again and be pleased about that.

One thought I am having is to buy salvaged windows and work on them in the comfort of my own home, sitting down. Then I could sell them on eBay -- but I have no idea how to ship anything like that. If I sold them on Craigslist I think people would expect to pay next to nothing for them? Craft shows is a good idea. I need to find a salvage yard somewhere around, or discover where old windows with wooden frames go to die.

Jaybird I talked to one gal who had done a GG window in her home ten years ago. She said it still looked just as good as when she made it, but that maybe the color had faded just a wee bit. Of course, one could also put another couple of layers on an old window to re-intensify the color, I suppose. Certainly you could do that in your own home with your own work. She hadn't bothered to touch up hers so I guess the fading was slight. Thanks so much for your kind words about the wall painting too. I'm never quite sure if that looks good or not.

• oceanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Why not do GG yourself on that window? You can begin by practicing on some clings, and if you like it you can stick the clings to the window and build your whole window from there.

It's very gratifying, and that way you don't have to worry about finding the right size and color. You can make it in colors that pick up on other decor in the room. Why not go check out their kits? You'll save a lot of money. But I guess if you have $ you can hire someone to custom make you just the perfect real stained glass window for that space. I love stained glass windows. I think they're just perfect for bathrooms, too, where you don't necessarily want the extra bulk of curtains, or the extra laundry, and where we usually want all the light we can get into the small space. Please let us know what you do! I'd love to see pics when it's done. If you want to try it yourself and you have questions I'd be glad to help if I can. And thanks for the compliment!

Another reason I didn't look into real stained glass is that my window is a sliding thermal window. I'm sure it would have been very expensive to get stained glass that would slide like that. I thought about hanging a stained glass piece in front of the window, but then how would I open the window? So this was the perfect answer for my situation.

If you look carefully at the pic of my bathroom window you'll see that it's a slider, and that one pane is larger than the other. So I worried about that, about how it would look to have the border bigger on one than on the other. I knew I could bypass all that if I did an abstract design where both windows were different from one another. But I loved this design so I went for it. I think it looks okay that the borders are uneven. I think that the window is pretty enough that people just don't notice or care about that? If yours is a slider, I think this could be the solution for you, especially if it's double-paned (I think they have some kind of gas between the two layers?).

The clings are "stick on designs." They are easy and fun to make. Just find a design you like on the web. Print it out. I put a piece of glass from a frame I wasn't using on my table to protect it. Then I taped the design I printed out to the glass. Then I put the cling down on that. It's a soft sheet of clear vinyl. Then I traced the outline with the butterflies liquid leading. It comes out pretty smooth and easy so this wasn't hard -- just like in the lady's video. I let that dry then filled in the color, also with her paints. You can do a few for fun.

If you like what you did, stick it on that bathroom window and build the rest of the window around it if you want to make privacy glass. Remember that with real stained glass windows they don't cut really huge elaborate pieces. They break up into smaller, more manageable pieces of glass. You can buy stained glass pattern books, or maybe your library has some.

So why not try to do it yourself? You'll have fun, and imagine your pride when you get your window done and can say you made it yourself?

You're welcome -- and thanks for letting me know I inspired you. I really hope some of you will try this!

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Those are beautiful, Oceanna! I just love your stained glass designs. You should try real stained glass and sell them! You could even try that from eBay.

• oceanna
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, Squirrel! I appreciate the vote of confidence.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

They are glorious!