SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dahoov2

Disagreement with general contractor over design

dahoov2
9 years ago

So I'm doing an addition in my home. After meeting with the contractor and getting the quote and telling him my design ideas more definitively today I'm a little agitated. He's a general contractor and he doesn't have a "design" expert working with him or anything. I have MY plan in MY head and I know what materials I want, what colors and the kind of vanities etc. Today he INSISTS I have cultured marble molded vanity tops. I do not LIKE those and I want real marble... and I know the upkeep. He also insisted I cannot have french doors leading out of my home from the laundry room because "people don't put French doors in laundry rooms". I want these doors because I'm losing a lot of light inwards by extending the house out; now the old laundry area will be a mud room.... and I want light coming into the den.... and I want it to match my other set of french doors. He's telling me expect to pay thousands... a couple for it. Hell no; I want Lowe's doors LOL. I want a matching set. He said it's too cheap. I just don't care about that because I want it to match and don't think they look cheap. I get tons of compliments on the ones I already have (they have blinds inside and I love them). Anyway, how to handle this? I'm getting up. I'm doing a very upscale bathroom and going less expensive in the laundry room. It's what I want to do, it's my house, I'm paying for it and I just don't like the attitude and him telling me what he did in his house. I don't really care to be honest. I kind of feel like if I want orange and pink polka dots on every surface, his job is to say whatever you want.... but yet I see articles online about "how to get your clients to do what you want". What's everyone's experience with this? If I have to sign the contract saying he's not responsible for design choices and only structure, I will. Or should I just not hire this one and take the next bid?

Comments (26)