SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
folkvictorian

Whose home is it anyway? (long......)

folkvictorian
13 years ago

We've subscribed to Old House Journal for several years but I'm giving up on my subscription when it runs out. It seems like every edition has at least one feature (and often a cover picture) of a dark pea-green Arts & Crafts bungalow interior with $1,200.00 light fixtures and dark dark wood. Their scope has narrowed too much.

So this November's issue is the last straw. In it, the Editor-In-Chief has her usual Editor's Note devoted to "Baths, Buildings and More". She says:

"I've recently spent some time looking at houses with a friend who's in the market to move. Her criteria: An older home, with mostly original fixtures...[snip]. While I suspected she'd have a hard time finding both 'old' and 'original' in the neighborhoods she likes, I've been surprised at how much personal taste, influenced by contemporary fashion, I find seeping into even the most carefully maintained gems of the late 19th and early 20th centuries. One notable example was a Folk Victorian farmhouse whose claw-foot tub had been replaced with a black drop-in Jacuzzi punctuated by shiny brass fixtures and a black-and-white checkerboard patterned 2"-tile marble floor that would have been right at home in an Italian Renaissance museum." Etc, etc.

Hmmmm. Should people be able to decide how to best use their own spaces or should there be a Renovation Police to make sure all old farm houses have claw-foot tubs and pedestal sinks with individual hot and cold taps? Should I rip out the bathroom of my 1890's house all together and just have DH build a two-seater in the back yard? (Does Sears still print and send large-enough catalogs to get us through the winter?)

Comments (12)