SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
equest17_gw

Can these drapes work with this rug?

equest17
10 years ago

I recently bought a vintage Turkish rug for our (future) MBR. The room is currently an unfinished attic space, so no photos of it looking like a bedroom. I really like the rug, but it's very different from anything I've worked with before because of the bright colors and solid expanse of field.

The attic room has three East facing windows, so I need quality, functional drapes for light control in the morning and thermal function in the winter (original single pane weighted sashes are beautiful but leaky). I saw these long, thermal drapes on CL and wondered if I could make them work. They are a fabulous price, but it's about an hour's drive to look at them, and I obviously can't take my large rug to see them together.

The rug colors are fairly true on my monitor. The drapes are described as having wide stripes of yellow and sage with narrow orange bands in between. My rug has medium green in the border and scattered around the field, though I wouldn't call it sage. The field color is a little apricot or salmon, so maybe in the orange family, but the rug has no yellow. The rug will be partially under the bed, so the pattern will be broken up a bit, and the drapes would be on a gable end wall with a good bit of space above them. The wallcovering will be a light tan, neutral grasscloth and the vaulted ceiling will be 6" tongue and groove wood (likely painted or whitewashed). None of the bedding or accessories are determined yet, so I can carry colors through where needed if this pairing would work.

The rug:

The drapes (the green stripe is hard to distinguish due to shadows):

If it matters, here is one of the only shots I have of the future MBR. Please forgive the huge mess; it was while we were having it sprayed with foam insulation (another necessity in an old house)! But you can see the window arrangement. I'd like the drapes a bit high and wide of the window to not block any available daylight.

And here's a possible inspiration photo for the room. Again, rather different from my usual likes, but the room gets very little direct light and I wanted something cheerful and cozy. The drapes and rug here don't seem to have any of the same colors, but it's also a much larger room and the two elements are father apart.

So, what do you think? Would it be worth looking at the drapes? What should I look for if I decide to see them in person?

This post was edited by equest17 on Mon, Oct 28, 13 at 11:36

Comments (13)