SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
riverrat1

Before and after of dining room

riverrat1
16 years ago

and still not quite finished. I'm trying to do this room on my own without any help from professionals and I've ended up with bursitis and tendinitis in my elbows. UGH!

Anyway, It's taken me a little while to get it together since my last post but here is the dining room before I painted the walls, new table cloth and larger chandelier.

{{!gwi}}
{{!gwi}}

I hope the pictures are not to dark. These are pictures of the "new" dining room.

{{!gwi}}
{{!gwi}}
{{!gwi}}

I need help from you guys on how to stage the middle area of the china cabinet and figure out what to put in the middle of the table for decoration. I really would appreciate some advice on staging and decorating.

I received alot of encouragement, advice and ideas from some of you concerning this room. Thank you for all. I like the way the room is evolving (still not finished) into a warm dining space.

Comments (33)

• teedup1
    16 years ago

We have to try all kinds of things but the attempt to add a splash of color to the room with a beautiful tablecloth is missplaced here. Unless maybe this is the place where all meals eaten daily, you'll get a much better effect with a fine colorful table centerpiece, sans table cloth and the placemats.

• les917
    16 years ago

Love the new wall color, and the new chandelier!

Is the cloth staying on the table full time? If so, between that and the chandelier, I don't think you need a lot on the table - perhaps something like a tureen or ceramic planter with lots of airy greenery, some berries, but not a lot of flowers. Or, a pretty collection of candlesticks of various heights, all sitting on a round framed mirror or tray.

As for the hutch, do you use all those platters, or are they more decorative? I think hanging them on the wall on either side of the cabinet would be nice. If they can't hang, then some type of framed art on either side would add some height to balance the large furniture piece.

Looking at the center of the hutch, I think you can see what you have going on right now. Every shelf is the same - platter on either side, something small in the middle. It creates a feeling of little rows of things. Ideally, you want to stagger things on the shelves to create movement and carry the eye through the space. Perhaps a platter on the bottom right, with a grouping of decanters on the left. Then, on the middle shelf, a platter in the center, with a vase on one side and candlesticks on the other. On the top, a platter on the left, and a pretty tureen or bowl on the right, filled with moss balls for texture and color. If you have some smaller framed art, you could put one of those pieces on an easel or lean it on the back of the cabinet on one of the shelves.

• Related Discussions

These are the Roman Shades I made

Q

Comments (36)
    Thank you all so much!!!!! I'll try to explain what I did and hopefully it will make sense, since I didn't use a pattern or anything. First I watched this video to get an idea of how to make a roman shade. http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/dc_windows_shades_blinds/article/0,,HGTV_3543_1939431,00.html I pretty much followed the direction in the video for how to measure and sew the shade, but I didn't make it scalloped and I didn't sew the seams on the back. Instead I sewed little plastic rings and the front is completely flat with no seams. When I finished the shade I mounted it to a board as described in the video. This is what they look like down... Close up of shade (sorry it's so dark)... Close up of the fabric (with sun shining through, looks more solid on cloudy days) Back side of shade... I also made a hem at the bottom of the shade and inserted a wooden dowel. Overall they were very easy to make. The most time consuming step was sewing all the little plastic rings in the back. I hope I did a decent job explaining how I made them. If anyone has any specific questions I would be happy to try and answer them. Kelly Here is a link that might be useful: How to make a Roman Shade
    ...See More

Dining room before and after. Ceiling cost less than 100$

Q

Comments (9)
    The ceiling is a fux tin ceiling effect What I did is found this wallpaper pattern from Menards or Home depot. Painted it with a metallic gold paint ( I used spray paint but if I could do it over again I would have used regular metallic paint.) Then put some darker metallic paint (bronze) on a sponge and wiped it over the ceiling to give it depth (make it look like real metal). Put a coat of clear-coat paint over it to give it a metallic shine. Wallpaper at Menards 8$ per roll ( I used 2 rolls with enough left over for stairs im doing). Paint at Menards 20$ Walpaper glue 20$
    ...See More

1895 Dining Room Before/After

Q

Comments (17)
    I really like it in the daylight and think it's lovely, especially in the context of the nearby rooms. You've preserved so much original detail. I think my only question would with the drapes. The sheers are fine, but maybe floor length drapes would be better - it would mimic the height of the adjacent built-ins and seems a bit more period appropriate. OTOH, I see why you want the drapes ending at the wide windowsill/ledge as that seems to be a natural transition point too. And I know that this isn't a long-term residence for you, but maybe the next owner would want to put in plantation shutters. Hmmm...
    ...See More

Before and After Dining Room

Q

Comments (1)
    It looks real nice with the rest of the house shown here. Can you center the table and chairs on the rug? It looks a little cramped near the window.
    ...See More
  • patricianat
    16 years ago

Your chandelier is a great addition. Can you edit out the tablecloth for just a glimpse of what the table looks like? Great suggestions by Les on the china cabinet.

• teedup1
    16 years ago

That nice table is already pictured nearly bare, above the other shots here, patricia

• txgal06
    16 years ago

I like the wood of the table showing with the new wall color. I would remove the tablecloth and do a center floral arrangement.

riverrat, your house was one of deciding factors to go ahead with stained concrete for our new build.

• patricianat
    16 years ago

Yes, I saw that picture but now she has the bigger chandelier which changes it all for the better. I would like to see the table undressed except for a neat floral arrangement and a couple candlesticks.

• pinkmommy
    16 years ago

I also think the table would look better without the tablecloth but otherwise it is a beautiful room and the changes look great

• johnatemp
    16 years ago

WHat a nice big dining room. I absolutely love love your furnishings!! Silk drapes - can't really see them that well but love them!!

I know you probably had your tablecloth custom made but I really like the wood table. But it will be gorgeous when entertaining.

As for your china cabinet...you have made a > with your big platters. Center one on one shelf....maybe add some old books on another with something else decorative. A little greenery to help soften. I don't know...just rambling but your room, floors, furniture, drapes are beautimous!!

Smiles:)

• Valerie Noronha
    16 years ago

No decorating expert here, though agree with others about the table cloth. Have you considered a decorative rug for under the dining table? I'd like to see the wood flooring and the wood dining table broken apart to better appreciate them both.

• riverrat1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

How's this? Or is it to much?

{{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

I'll take the tablecloth off and post another picture tomorrow.

• decor64
    16 years ago

I like it a lot. However, my preference would be to remove about 25% of the items.

• redbazel
    16 years ago

What is the wall color, it looks great???

I do think you have way too much in your cabinet. Take out the entire middle section and put things back one at a time. Leave out the things that don't work well with others. Store them elsewhere. Your tablecloth is very nice, but I would save it for entertaining and use the table without for decor. Perhaps a really nice floral or fruit arrangement in the center is all you would need. You are doing a wonderful job in this room.

Red

• premier
    16 years ago

It looks like you have a nice, big dining room. But it looks very dark and drab. The DR furniture is dark. The wall color is dark...and it looks like the ceiling may be the same or similar color. The molding is painted the same color as the walls. And the floor is dark.

I realize you just painted it but I think it would look so much better with a lighter color on the walls so your furniture stands outs and the molding was painted white as well as the ceiling.

I don't care for the tablecloth. Show off your nice wood top of the table. As far as the middle section of your china cabinet, way to much stuff. It looks cluttered.

• les917
    16 years ago

I think you are on the right track with a mix of things, adding in books (and a plant would be nice somewhere in there). But I think you have too many little things. Take out all the really small, individual things that are just kind of sitting on the shelves.

I like how you have used the silver trays to move through the unit.

I would put the candleholders with the glass hurricanes somewhere other than next to the glass cloche. Let the cloche be seen against the wood back of the shelving, to appreciate the glass.

As for the books, I would add a few more in the bottom grouping, for substance. I like the small framed piece on the easel on the books.

Group the two glass decanters together.

Think about adding a faux fern in the silver revere bowl.

You have a lot of glassware in both of the side cabinets, and it is hard to appreciate it because there is so much of various styles and sizes in there. Can you cull out some of it, perhaps putting it in the cabinet below or if you don't use it, putting it away in a kitchen cabinet or storage? I think your whole cabinet will sparkle more when there is not so much going on with each shelf.

• budge1
    16 years ago

Just wanted to say how much I love the colour of your walls. It goes perfectly with the orangey tones in your furniture and seems to draw everything together in a really warm and elegant way. The curtains add a nice bit of shine and brightness. I'd love to see a large cream wool rug with some greens and reds in it under the table.

Gorgeous room.

• lmhall2000
    16 years ago

Sometimes I have trouble putting stuff down because it may come off as a negative to what you already have...you've got a lot of good suggestions and I really love the color of your room! Here are things that stand out with me..

1. I actually like the tablecloth but not the placemats...but it would look nice w/o tablecloth with centerpiece like mentioned..

2. Love the wall color but feel the ceiling in the same tone is making the room feel enclosed...I would check out lightening it 2-3 shades to give the room some lift.

3. I would actually put all the glassware down under the hutch...the problem with glass ware is that it doesn't "fill" in the space because they're mostly the same height and very few are taller than half the space you've got to fill..I think when doing "displays" it's best to have once piece centered (would love to see some of those platters put in a solo spot where you have the glasses) then layer an effect in the center where you don't have the glass....I don't like those particular books...I think cloth covered or leather bound books look good stacked when they're in a formal hutch like that..good estate sales have some super classics (Jane Eyre, The Good Earth etc.) that you can find...

My mom had a knack at arranging bookshelves..she'd take everything off and put one item on a shelf...placing the bigger pieces first....then try adding 1-2 items per shelf to balance the piece and go from there....I think it would show better if you showed off those platters...all those glasses stored in there make it look like a antique market stall where you're trying to fit as many items on there for sale rather than show....

I LOVE the chairs and table...such nice warm woods!!!

Tara

• johnatemp
    16 years ago

I think you have gotten great advice about the shelves.

What about using your silver bowl on your table and putting some real ivy or small fern like Les suggested? If it is sterling, I probably wouldn't put a live plant. Or take that bowl and have a fruit floral design done at a florist. Florist usually have more realistic fruit than Hobby Lobby.
    You have many very pretty things.

SMiles:)

• riverrat1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you everyone for helping me with my challenge. I've removed the tablecloth but took a picture of one of the details that I like so much about this cloth. I like the room with or without it. I keep it off for now. Also, thank you for all your compliments. They mean alot. I've been working on this room, off and on, for years. It has been an evolving challenge for me.

{{!gwi}}

Excuse the mess on the floor while I make the wonderful changes that you all had in mind. All of the advice I've gotten here has been very useful.

Kinda blurry. I was playing with the flash.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

Am I getting close?

I haven't had a chance to change out the crystal, in the side cabinets, for something else. But I'm on the lookout.

• natal
    16 years ago

Riverrat, that's a gorgeous cloth! The other pictures don't do it justice. But your table ... WOW! A shame to cover something so beautiful, even if it is a gorgeous tablecloth, lol!

• acoreana
    16 years ago

Oh, holy moly, your dining room looks *stunning*!

• ladyamity
    16 years ago

Riverrat,
    I love that fabric!
    Of course, since my home has most of those colors, of course I'd love it. *s*

Next on our list of upgrading to fit into the 21st century is our dining room.
    I was anxious to see your pictures to get some inspiration but they were very dark.
    I hope you don't mind, I lightened them so I could get a better look.

I love what I see!
    That table top is beautiful and is set off wonderfully with that fabulous chandy!

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• riverrat1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

txgal, we love our concrete floors. So easy! I hope you like them as much as we do.

Redbazel, the wall color is Sand 6 from Lowes. I knew that I wanted to go dark in the room and this was the one I liked the best. Eddie Bauer paint has a nice dark mossy green very close to this color.

Les, I always appreciate you and your advice. Thanks. I really need to think about what I'm going to place in the side units of the china cabinet.

Amity, thank you for lightening the pictures. Such an improvement.

To the rest of you, thank you for all the advice and complements. Keep the advice coming. I still need help deciding what to put in the side cabinets.

• justmee_2006
    16 years ago

Riverrat1, where in the world did you find that beautiful tablecloth? I love it! I think the room is missing pictures to help brighten it up and add more color.

• momfromthenorth
    16 years ago

Wow, that's beautiful riverrat! Pretty choice in the wall paint color. I feel for you with the china cabinet - it's hard when you have accumulated things over the years to put them away where they can't be seen. I guess the solution is to rotate things every so often.
    Hanging the larger platters would be an excellent way to display them. Do you have another place where you can put the books? They might be happier on a bookshelf because they seem to compete with the pretty crystal and silver.

Your tablecloth is stunning and will look so very inviting for guests, but oh gosh, why hide the beauty of your table when you aren't using it? It's a gorgeous DR set.

Can you share any details on your chandelier? I've been looking for one for quite a while and really like this new one you've selected. It's so hard for me to "visualize" how they will look in the DR.

• patricianat
    16 years ago

Very pretty room. I like the drama of dark dining rooms and sparkly silver/crystal and china.

• riverrat1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

justmee, I found the fabric for the tablecloth at a discount fabric store and had a local workroom come measure and sew it. I had all the design details in my head. I just needed someone that could make it. My next project in this room is to frame some botanical prints that I have. I'm shopping around for a good price because I have 12 of them. Matting and framing adds up!

sippiemom, In this china cabinet I have my MIL's crystal, my Mom's crystal, some of our crystal and our china. I think I'll take the above advice and maybe put some of our china and a few odd pieces I have in the side cabinets.

Thank you patricia!

• riverrat1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sorry sippiemom, I forgot to answer your question about the chandelier. I bought it in a showroom and they didn't have the brand name on the ticket. Sorry!

• momfromthenorth
    16 years ago

OK, thanks riverrat.

• ginnytrcka
    16 years ago

OOOOh, I love your dining room table set. Is it expandable? It looks like it is large enough to seat 8 comfortably. Where did you get the table?

Very nice job on the room. I definitely think we can all edit things out in our rooms, but if there is something that you really cherish or always think 'how pretty' when you look at it, keep it out. It's one thing if your staging for a magazine layout or to sell a home, but another thing when it's what you live with on a daily basis. I like to keep the history and memories out, even if they don't have the polish of new matching accessories.

• User
    16 years ago

What a gorgeous, dramatic room! That china cabinet is to die for! And I absolutely love that table cloth ... but dang! The natural wood of your table is to die for as well!

• cliff_and_joann
    16 years ago

Auntjen, expressed my thoughts exactly, gorgeous and dramatic.
    The table and chairs are stunning.

Joann

• riverrat1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

ginny, I got the table at a local furniture store. It is an expandable piece with the crescent shaped leaves on the outside. I really wanted an antique table that was round and 7 foot in diameter but I wasn't willing to pay the price for everyone that I found over a 3 year period of time. So I was looking for something totally different at the furniture store when I came across this table. I went well with the old hutch and I had to get it. It was reasonable in price (well, reasonable compared to the antique prices). I just hated spending so much for the chairs. It really fits 8 people comfortably and 10 people with the addition on 2 smaller chairs.

Thanks everyone. I'm still working on the side areas of the china cabinet.

• ginnytrcka
    16 years ago

You must have been looking at the same antique tables I've been looking at! The last one was French and had a $10,000 price tag (ouch!), but I love the round design and the way it expands with the circular leaves. So, I know what you mean when you say reasonable compared to the antiques. Would you mind forwarding your furniture store contact? I think the round dining table really makes for more conversation and interaction at the table. We just broke ground on our dream home and I designed the dining room specifically to fit up to a 7' round table. It was one of the things that convinced us to build since most dining rooms are rectangular and quite small.