SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
monicakm1

Is This Picture Too Big For This Space?

monicakm_gw
11 years ago

The wall is 54" from the corner to the window trim. Eight foot ceilings (with crown if that matters). The picture is 40x40, leaving 7" on each side. Is it too big for this spot?

Monica

Comments (67)

• monicakm_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I was afraid I'd have to do that (show the rest of the room).
    It's a work in progress and basically an empty slate. This room was part of a major remodel FIVE years ago. After the first wall paint combo didn't turn out like I'd envisioned, DH picked out the paint. In natural light, it has a definite pink undertone...Noah's Ark by BM. Plans were to replace the whitewashed oak furniture and repaint the walls for a third time. Then I could go about my decorating. But...it's taken both of us this long to get over that remodel. I haven't asked DH (he's a major DIYer) to do anything and I don't think it would matter if I'd had LOL
    3 1/2 rooms with wall tear downs and all new windows while living on site...and I'm still married (to the same man after sharing a bathroom for 6 months) :)
    My search for new bedroom furniture was half hearted. So nothing has gotten done in that room for 5 years. The other day DH suggested that instead of repainting, he thinks he can put a glaze over the paint to warm up the color and get rid of the pink undertone. Now I'm excited! And I've decided to move forward without buying new bedroom furniture that we really can't afford right now anyway. I like the pieces. Their heavy, good quality pieces. Re-staining is an option.
    The room is 10x16 with north and east facing windows.
    Before anyone says anything about the picture that will be hung above the armoire, (bottom of the picture level with the top of the furniture) it's staying. It's been in our family for a LONG time. It has sentimental value and we both love it. There is nowhere else in the house to put it. The skinny picture between the two closets will be leaving. Meant to take it down before I took the pictures.
    I'm replacing the lamp whether I keep the picture or not. If I do keep it, any suggestions?
    pbase is acting a little quirky so these pictures may come and go till they fix whatever is wrong.

Here is a link to the dining room just outside the master bedroom. The alcove to the bedroom is just to the left of the clock.
    Thanks

Here is a link that might be useful: Dining Room

• monicakm_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

chispa, here is a link to the photos. Just click "next" in the upper right corner to scroll thru all of them (5)
    I've been having a problem viewing pictures here since they implemented the new "upload from desktop" feature. I've even disabled all my Firefox add ons and still can't see a lot of them.

Here is a link that might be useful: More of the Bedroom

• Related Discussions

House echos, too big??? (pictures)

Q

Comments (28)
    Very nice! I love your floors and your paint color and your doggy! The furniture looks good. The rug could be a little bigger... But I agree with the comments that all that's really needed is some softness. You have a lot of "hard" things and just need some plant material, drapes, a couple well placed oil paintings (or canvas transfers) on the walls. Would it be possible to tell me the color of your walls? I absolutely love it. My floor is your color as is my trim and I'd like to try it in my house. Just a general question to others -- what has been going on at gardenweb? I'm a somewhat regular viewer and occasional contributor here at gardenweb, but have been away for a couple months and I come back and see these these comments on several threads scolding people for being unkind when all they're doing is expressing opinions that were asked for in the first place. Either someone is trying to disrupt this site, or people are feeling very threatened these days. I hope it can tone down and people can mellow out. This is supposed to be a fun place.
    ...See More

Dining table too big for space

Q

Comments (13)
    Okay, thanks to all of you. Ninigret, no it can't be cancelled, and rather than lose any money, Hubby said if it doesn't fit comfortably in the space, then we'll order a smaller one and I'll use the larger one in my Sewing Room. Becky, okay here is the math, 2 ft. depth for the china cabinet, and 2 more ft. to open the doors, 1 ft. X 2 for each end chair, the chairs are each 2 ft., so we are at 10 ft. so far, add in the 8 ft. table and there we have it ~ 18 ft. from wall to end of D.R. Dining room is 15 ft. long by 13 ft. wide. Claire Larece I do have one picture that was in the Listing (remember we haven't moved in yet), but the last owner's table is in the room. Table won't be delivered until end of July, but I think I can get one off the website. Kathryn P. no other place for the china cabinet. Will work on posting some pics. The more I talk about with other people, the more I'm convinced that I need to get a smaller table. I'm absolutely in love with this one however, because it would fit my entire family of 13. Grandkids don't want to sit at the counter any more.
    ...See More

temporary space old furniture too big

Q

Comments (1)
    I love your space❤️ I would put a cosy sofa on the right side of the fireplace and 2 armchairs - on the left side. I would change the table and put some framed pictures on the wall just infront of the fireplace.
    ...See More

Is this sectional too big for this space? (Crate & Barrel Axis 106in)

Q

Comments (5)
    I would not do the chaise in a small home, unless you never entertain non-family members. If you have a group of people over, who sits in the chaise? Do you want guests putting their feet/shoes on the sofa? I would do a sofa with an ottoman, which can be used for your feet or pushed out for a guest to sit on. You would be able to sit 5 people. It also allows you to move the ottoman to any of the 3 seats on the sofa, so you aren't just wearing out one spot for TV watching.
    ...See More
  • lkplatow
    11 years ago

I like it and definitely don't think it is too big.

For the pic over the armoire, I would either leave it leaning like you have it or hang it so that there is an even amount of space between the armoire and the bottom of the pic and the top of the pic and the crown molding. I think hanging it even with the top of the armoire might look odd.

Oakley - I know that you can intentionally do a grouping of smaller pics -- I have some myself. But in those cases, I think you have to take into account the space you are trying to fill and make the grouping in porportion to the wall. When I initially posted, I was thinking more of cases where people really do have no clue what to hang so they just stick up whatever they have -- usually something way too small and out of proportion to the wall. This was a common thing where I grew up -- in fact, my parents currently have several walls that are suffering from this syndrome, LOL!

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

I love the print above your armoire. Isn't that Master Bedroom? But, then this is a girl with a house full of terry redlin prints. So maybe I dont have the most up to date house...

I also like your room a lot -- your quilt, your trim, your furniture. This room is nice.

Cozy, warm, comfy.

Not feeling the first piece of art in the room.

• beeps
    11 years ago

I like it and think it's fine given the rest of the room. I really like the paint, and am surprised to see it goes pink sometimes. Doesn't look that way at all on my monitor.

• monicakm_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

If it matters, I have splashes of orange in every other room of the house, even the entry. The walls in the Cowboy Chic Monster Den are an orange-ish faux leather glaze. The master bedroom is a decidedly different color scheme. I love blue but wanted to keep it confined to the master bedroom and bathroom. This isn't the look I was going for but it "spoke to me" when I found it. But, I guess the color isn't as much of a factor as the size of the picture.

• monicakm_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Am I hitting the mark with any of these lamps? They're all about 30" tall.
    Thanks for the help and opinions everyone!

• lupins4
    11 years ago

After seeing more photos, I think the size of the art is not an issue...I thing it will look great hung at eye level in that spot. As for the lamps, I would rule out the ones with an obvious leafy design as I think it competes with the art work. The one with the slim black base might look nice...you know the saying, 'every room needs a little black' :-)

• monicakm_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Red Lover, yes, it's Andrew Wyeth's Master Bedroom. I think we've had that piece for about 20-25 years. Will never get rid of it! It used to be in the living room but that was turned into a much needed dining room during the remodel 5 years ago. We had added on a large den so the living room was unused and we only had an eat in kitchen.
    Monica

• mpwdmom
    11 years ago

Such a pretty bedroom. For me, that picture would be too big. I'm a little claustrophobic and I need more wall space to keep that at bay. I love Wyeth's Master Bedroom.

• monicakm_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

loveslupins, I DO like that lamp! I like how streamline it is as I didn't want to compete with the picture but I thought I might need something more substantial so it wouldn't get lost. I like the one in the lower right corner. The lamp base is the same coloring as the middle of the cream colored flower. Just don't like the pleated shade. Oh,it does look black but that lamp base is actually a dark bronze.

• tinker_2006
    11 years ago

for me, you need to get rid of the picture above the armoire. I'll email you my mailing address and you can send it right away. Please send your bedding as well.... I'll take care of these things for you. If you can't send the bedding, can you please tell me where you purchased it from?

The large picture, it really is too big for my taste, but I think it could work. I like the lamp one on the lower right corner as well.

I like your furniture too! I think the room looks very nice!

• springroz
    11 years ago

THAT is perfect! It is a great size, and it is the only thing you need, IMO.
    I like the bottom left lamp in the first picture( the simple column), and you could put a fun, colored shade on it, like the orange, or blue from the picture.

Beautiful house!

Nancy

• Jess TKA
    11 years ago

I think it will look nice and give the room a nice pop of color.

• busybee3
    11 years ago

seeing pictures of your room, i think the picture will look great on that space! (especially if you don't hang drapes)

of the lamps, i think i would best like either of the bottom 2 in the 1st picture...

• lascatx
    11 years ago

From your first photo it looked way too big, but with your wider angle photos, I can see it. It helps that it is the only large or bold piece and the colors appear to be perfect. Busybee3 and I agree on that and the lamps.

• monicakm_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm going for it!

Thanks to EVERYone for their opinions and advice :)

I had narrowed the lamp selection down to 4. The bottom two on the first picture were included in the final 4.
    I'm going with the dark slender one (bottom left, first picture). I can get it at Lowes and it's easily returned if I decide I don't like it, it's 3-way AND it uses REAL lightbulbs! I won't enter into the world of fluorescent lighting without a fight! (g)

lascatx, there won't be any other pictures on the walls. I'm not comfortable with a lot of "stuff" or clutter.

busybee3, no drapes. I asked DH to build nice window trim because I wanted to keep things clean and open.

tinker_2006, I'm sure you can find the picture online. i got mine at a store called The Chef's Pantry. The bedding...the cream and blue print is Better Homes and Garden from Walmart! I'm really pleased with the quality of the quilt. I didn't buy the matching pillow shams. That was 2 or 3 years ago and of course they no longer carry that print. The solid quilt-like bedspread came from Target, 5 years ago, Fieldcrest Luxury.

mpwdmom, I'm a bit claustrophobic myself. Whether I'm in a MRI machine or there's just too much stuff around me. I don't mind it in someone else's house, it usually looks nice, I just can't have it in my own home.

Monica

• design_wotcha
    11 years ago

Based on the space - I think your picture works.

I was thinking of you when I saw this image, before I saw your actual space - thought it might provide some more inspiration on this topic...

• SunnyCottage
    11 years ago

The print over her armoire is by Andrew Wyeth ...

Here is a link that might be useful: Print

• lascatx
    11 years ago

I hate fluorescent lights too. I have tried a few and refuse to buy any more if I can avoid it. However, I am in the process of replacing all our recessed cans with LEDs as well any other lights I can. I haven't seen a 3-way LED, but I hope they continue to develop and offer more LEDs. I see my dining room chandelier as the last holdout, so I hope the krypton bulbs last a long time.

• loribee
    11 years ago

I love big prints....can't wait to see!

• choclot
    11 years ago

I love that artwork. It's glorious. I personally would hang it on a white wall to provide more of a visual pop. It kind of blends in with your current wall color, so I don't get the visual jolt.

• tinker_2006
    11 years ago

thanks for the link of "Master Bedroom" such a pretty picture! Looking forward to see you finished room!

• monicakm_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks ya'll :) We got it hung last night. It WAS 3" higher and didn't look right to either one of us. My lamp and radio/clock/CD aren't in yet.
    choclot, I think the reason it does work so well in that spot is because it somewhat blends with the wall color. It might be too "in your face" right there had the wall been white. Besides, there's not a white anywhere in the house :)
    Did we get the placement right?

{{!gwi}}

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

That is exactly where I would have hung it. Looks perfect!

• monicakm_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Cyn! SO glad I decided to keep it :)

• monicakm_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Is there a picture in design_wotcha's comment? For some reason, I can't see images that are uploaded from one's computer. The way it reads, it sounds like there is a picture.
    Monica

• lynn_r_ct
    11 years ago

I don't believe art needs to "match". To me, artwork is a way to express your true personal taste without having to be matchy matchy with all that is around it. IMHO I do believe it should be 3 - 4 inches higher though. It looks too even between the height of the window and the jam. Just my personal preference.

• lascatx
    11 years ago

The height looks good to me -- balanced on the wall and I think with the window too. It isn't centered with the window itself (would be a little lower) or the window plus header (higher), but it feels balanced. You could go lower, but I think the picture is too large to go higher. I also agree you about the wall color too.

• mpwdmom
    11 years ago

I'm shocked how much I love it on the wall!! Not crowded at all. Don't move it, it's perfect. And yes, please don't ever cover up those windows with drapes, that would be criminal.

• design_wotcha
    11 years ago

hi monicakm - yes there was a picture - i will have to look into a different way to add images to my comments . but it doesn't matter now - your picture looks lovely... and the pot light seems to hit it just right. great.

• beeps
    11 years ago

Looks great! So glad you kept it.

• Boopadaboo
    11 years ago

Gorgeous!

• chispa
    11 years ago

Monicakm, it looks great! I can now see this photo ... still can't see the first ones. I've also recenty gone a bit more creative with art and used pieces that previously I might have thought too big for a certain wall. A good area to be daring in since it can so easily be changed by simply removing the painting & nail from the wall!

• tinker_2006
    11 years ago

really looks great!! Windows are beautiful too!

• monicakm_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

chipsa, I used Photobucket this time in hopes you'd be able to see it :) They had a 5'x2' companion piece. Same-ish background. single blue flower on a stem with wide, dark brown embellished borders on top and bottom. Soooo tempted to buy it too. It would have been tooo much going on in that room but I sure liked it :)
    Monica

• chispa
    11 years ago

Much appreciated. Hate to miss the pics! Could the companion piece go in the bathroom or other part of house? If you really loved it ...

Yeah, sorry, but we are enablers on this site! LOL

• monicakm_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It wouldn't work chispa. All the bathroom walls are tiled and capped with stone railing up to about 34"
    I've been on these boards for 10+ years. Trust me, I KNOW all about GW enablers...been one myself (lol)

• monicakm_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I finally made a decision on a lamp combination. This lamp base came with a yellowish/cream shade. I bought another lamp and two more shades. None of them spoke to me. Today I put the blue shade on this lamp. Would it be my choice if I had unlimited time, energy and funds? I doubt it. But I hope it looks good! The first thing my husband noticed was that pattern on the lamp was crooked. It's only that one area. We just turned the shade about a 1/4 turn. Is my choice a glaring decorating faux pas? See the pink undertone in the paint color in the first picture? The next picture is with lights low and both blinds closed. At night the paint is even warmer.

Another problem I'm having is finding a alarm clock/radio w/ an aux line-in jack for my smart phone. This feature is fairly common now but I've looked at hundreds of clock radios. They're cheaply made, ugly and all have less than stellar reviews (1 and 2 stars). I've bought two and have returned both. What happened?? 20-30 years ago they were good quality, larger, nicer and some even included built in phones. In fact we still have the GE phone, dual alarm AM/FM radio that we bought in 91! Works great! I don't want to use my smart phone as my beside clock and alarm. Anyone know where to look? I've looked on Amazon, WM, Target, Best Buy, BBB, Tiger Direct, New Egg. Am I looking for something that no one is buying anymore?

{{!gwi}}

Look what I found on ebay...this was one high tech gadget back in the day! :) This is what I was talking about above. Is there anything you can't find on ebay?

Here is a link that might be useful: GE Phone/clock/radio

• EG3d
    11 years ago

Very nice!!

• EG3d
    11 years ago

The blue in the picture works with the shade very well.

• loribee
    11 years ago

Darling combination! Love it!

• busybee3
    11 years ago

picture looks great! shade looks fine! no idea about clock radio-we have a 10+yr old one which doesn't have any aux jack...

• ttodd
    11 years ago

All looks great and the frog is the perfect finishing piece!

• monicakm_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The frog was a Valentine's present to one of my two precious grandbabies. They sleep with it when they're here :)
    Thanks everyone :)

• monicakm_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I need help again please. I'm really pleased with my bedroom after 5 years of being in limbo till (fill in the blank).
    I don't know what I should put (if anything) on top of the armoire. The picture sitting on top right now will be hung. The armoire is 5' tall. You can see pictures of it and the rest of the room above. The lamp I finally chose is the one in the first picture of lamp decisions. It's on he bottom right corner. Or maybe I should forget putting anything there and let whatever I put on the wall (between the armoire and the bed be enough. I'm open for suggestions for both!
    Thanks,
    Monica

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    11 years ago

Are you the least bit curious how that painting would look if it was hung with the other end up? Either of the other sides facing up?
    I'd at least have to take a look and see how that influences things.

• monicakm_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

cearbhaill, funny you should ask that question. When I first saw the painting on line, the other end was up. When it was presented to me at the store, it was shown like I have it hung. I turned it the other way when I got home but decided I liked it best this way. AND, the hanging hardware is placed for for it to be hung this way.

• Olychick
    11 years ago

I'd do something like this:

• lazy_gardens
    11 years ago

I like it.

The reason the picture works despite its size is that it's unframed and the background blends with the wall color

That lets the three flowers feel like three smaller pictures on the brown wall.