SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
myrealnameismama_goose

Is this too blah?

Too fussy? Too busy?

I like it, but I'm wondering if it's too monochromatic, compared to the colorful vintage pottery in the kitchen. I have more bright pottery pieces, but the china is ivory white, so I went with off-white, mostly matte pieces, and some of my vintage glass cake plates. Would it look better with all glass on one side, and all china/pottery on the other? Alternating shelves? I have enough china to replace all the glass pieces, but would that be too much white? Do I need to take a nap, and stop obsessing over shelf decor?

Oops, I didn't notice the white napkins on one of the dinner plate stacks!

Wider view--kitchen is behind the camera:

Kitchen cabinet for reference:

Background: The cabinets are vintage, matching, but the set in the DR had no doors, and the upper cabinet is wider on one side. Even if it had doors, they wouldn't close because the dinner plates and cake plates are wider than the shelves. I'd like to keep the counter mostly clear, because at meal times it's easy to scoop the inevitable junk off the table and stack it there temporarily, and it's convenient to keep the laptop in the corner, when it's not in use on the table. Also, I can use the counter for a dessert/coffee buffet for large gatherings.

One side, ready for my mother's PIE :)

And yes, in the second pic, that is unpainted baseboard, with moulding stacked in front, because I still haven't decided on flooring. Thank you all for your advice.

Comments (32)