SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bmorepanic

dining room acquisition questions (long)

bmorepanic
12 years ago

This is my furniture plan--

We have the hutch, the table, a rug and 4 chairs. There is a fake chippendale radiator cover that we made and it is painted washed out peach. We have a shoestring budget.

We went out junking today and found a piece (maybe). It has an element of almost chinese in the fretting on the sides of the shelf supports and the proportions look a little foreign. Its about 27" wide by 55" high to the top shelf and fairly shallow - like 18". There is a mirror between the top and the shelf. The shallow drawer in the center is like a silverware drawer with dividers. I don't know anything more about it.

For me, the purpose of the server and the tray table was to be able to sit food or drinks out. Better picture of proposed "server"

Buy it? If yes then clean it or paint it?

More background - the room is painted with medium gray trim and heavy cream walls. You can see a little in the picture of the hutch near the base.

The table is a small scale Century Duncan Phyfe (with leaves - can seat 12 but with day-to-day would have no leaves - 38 x 60) and a set of 4 ribbon chairs. They need to be recovered.

We are debating a settee to add a little color and softness plus extra seating. I am thinking about either a chinoise print for the settee and stripes on the chairs or a small woven pattern. This is an example of a pattern that makes my heart sing.

The gray background Chinese dinner service in the hutch is mine. I am building up some blue and white service pieces. If I had a decorating concept, it would be french chinoise - the patterns and the structure but no wallpaper.

I'm not sure I'm keeping the rug. The rug was rolled up for two years during a large remodeling project. Until the rug was cleaned, I used a small seagrass rug and that was almost better. The seagrass rug was a little too much the same with the floor color (good thing it was temporary).

The rug is a Wilton oriental from the late 30's - so small bits of mint green, peachy-yellow, robin's egg blue, medium blue, fushcia and some orange on a background of tan and chocolate brown. I remembered the rug as lighter than it looks now.

There are linen curtains that I dyed peachy-yellow that bizarrely is the same shade of yellow appearing in the rug. I like the curtains a lot more than the rug. There are winter only sheers (negative view).

Comments (6)