SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sail_away

Dining Room Table Questions

sail_away
8 years ago

We are in the process of downsizing and expect to have only one eating area in our downsized home. Therefore, I am trying to decide which table to take to the new place.

My everyday kitchen table is a solid oak round table which could use refinishing. It comes with one leaf that changes it to an oval shape. When using the leaf, I see how worn the reset of the table is and that it really should be refinished.

My dining room table is a long, wide cherry table. I have always left the leaf in the table. If think the shape would probably fit best in the great room/kitchen area we are considering. It also is in better shape right now than the round oak table. Plus it would work for just us or when we have guests for dinner. However, I do worry about how it would hold up to everyday use. There would be three of us using the table regularly, so I'd probably rotate between the two ends of the table when we eat. I have table pads made to fit the table and always have used it with a tablecloth; however, I don't want to use a tablecloth all the time or leave a tablecloth on the table full-time. The table has a high sheen gloss to it, so I'm concerned it will soon be scratched and look bad.

Any suggestions how to make the cherry table work? Or would you advise using the oak table? If I use the oak table I'm also going to have to replace the chairs, as they are pretty worn out.

Comments (4)