SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
funkyart_gw

Slipcovers - the good, bad & ugly

funkyart
9 years ago

It's time to replace my sofa.. past time. The size and style don't work in my current house and the leather is showing signs of wear-- and not in that cool rustic way. I've tested a number of sofas and the ONE sofa that both of us like is the Willow at Crate and Barrel.. love it. It's comfortable, the right height for my rather high coffee table and it works with the rug we've selected. Easy, right? No. I am very concerned about the fact that it's slipcovered. I love the idea of a slipcover-- especially for my lifestyle. The ability to remove-wash-replace is very attractive. I dont love the idea of spending an afternoon to wash and replace but it's a small price to pay for a sharp looking white sofa. BUT here's my concern-- my major hurdle:

I love the look of the magazine and blog slipcovered sofa spreads. I HATE the look of the slipcovered sofas I am seeing on CL.

It seems to me that the CL sofas are from homes that actually USE the sofa -- as we will. It's not going in a pretty room-- it's going in a room that will get use. Daily.

This photo was taken of the sofa I want to purchase-- it was purchased in February so it is not even a year old. I do NOT want my sofa to look like this in 2 years .. definitely not in 6 months.

What are your experiences with slipcovered sofas and their upkeep? I am not crazy neat so I am not expecting it to be perfect at all times-- but because I am not crazy neat, I dont want it to look a hot mess. I WILL have stacks of books and/or papers.. a coffee cup or two .. and I am ok with that level of normal mess but if you add a sloppy sofa to the mix, all of a sudden i imagine a very messy looking room.

What is your experience? Am I too concerned? Are the photos like the one below an unfair representation of a slipcovered sofa? This is the first sofa we're both happy with .. but I don't want to regret it 2 months later.

From CL:

Comments (26)

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer