SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19691163

What do you think of this paint combo

User
10 years ago

Possibly a shade lighter with the green.

{{!gwi}}

Comments (53)

• sreedesq
    10 years ago

What about a burgundy trim (color pulled from bricks) to go with the green?

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

I think a muted gray/green/blue or muted gray/green on house color would look better. For the shutters I would do charcoal, maybe not exactly the shade in the brick (has blue in it?) but something that would go. And, a light warm cream trim! A bit warmer and just a tic more saturated trim than you have.

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Wed, Sep 18, 13 at 13:01

• Related Discussions

Master Shower/Tub Combo what do you think so far?

Q

Comments (8)
    Here is a picture of the fiberglass that was done. This picture is BEFORE we had to put in the platform for the tub. The plumber wanted us to put in the platform but neglected to tell us that from the start. We then re-fiberglassed the platform into the shower area. Are you saying we should have fiberglassed the shower walls too??
    ...See More

What do you think about this combo???

Q

Comments (16)
    She's going on 9. She helped pick pit the fabric, she's a very girly-girl. I know that alot of people would think this is too grown up, but it's just the look we are going for. It might be a while before I make the curtains, we are still looking for our first house. I don't want to sew curtains for her current room and then not have enough fabric for her new room. Thanks for your comments. I love the waverly seaside stripe-pear but with the awsome price that I've found the plaid it's going to be hard to pay nearly $20 a yard for fabric.
    ...See More

What do you think of these pillows/ color combo?

Q

Comments (29)
    i also objected to the white and red pillows, layering prints will bring more to the room. with the dark choices you should go for 'rich' not 'pops of color'. my husband and i and our two middle school aged children bought a whole houseful of furniture in 2 hours, at Jordan's furniture in the boston area. it was for a newly purchased empty vacation house, and Jordans at the time had a $99 delivery fee, no matter how much or little you bought... we made out very well on that, it was pretty much a full truck load. that was 18 years ago, and some of our choices we've "outgrown" and replaced but by and large it served us well. it can be done, indeed.
    ...See More

what do you think of this combo?

Q

Comments (7)
    Go to ikea and get a slipcovered sofa. As someone with kids, I would never, ever have a light gray couch. Or save your money and get a leather couch. Article has great prices and get great reviews: https://www.article.com/product/1740/sven-charme-chocolat-sofa We have 4 boys and a dog and lots of leather furniture.
    ...See More
  • awm03
    10 years ago

Here's your gray green, with trim from lightest brick & shutters from darkest brick.

• awm03
    10 years ago

And here's jterrilynn's gray green, same trim and shutters:

• awm03
    10 years ago

I used the roof to cue these colors: gold for body & trim & deepened it to brown for the shutters. Just to see how it would look.

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

Good Awn03, of course my preference would be my lighter with more gray/green lol. I think the shutters should stop short of actually being black though (but darker than my sample), more charcoal- ish on the darker end of a green/blue/gray chit so as to be a distant cousin to the gray/green house color and the gray/charcoal w/ blue in the dark brick. Or, I could be reading the brick color wrong due to my monitor.

Edited to say I like Awn's latest color too.

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Wed, Sep 18, 13 at 14:13

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks awm. I like the lighter green myself. I tried to cut out most of the roof color since we need to reroof too. The color on the addition doesn't match the main part. The roof is a reddish color now but I want to go with a brownish.

• liriodendron
    10 years ago

Whatever color you choose, if you make it darker than the main body you drastically, and not attractively, change the proportions of the house.

Having the lower part dark and the upper lighter allows the house to appear grounded, not squashed-down by the dark gable looming over it.

(This effect is especially pronounced in this particular house because the color change happens immediately above the window trim, foreshortening the proportions of the lower section.)

The very dark colors proposed for the shutters exacerbate the problem by further diminishing the strength of the first-story's coloration by reducing its overall area.

You want a house or building to seem well connected to the Earth in a two-tone scheme. So the lower sections should be strengthened by being darker. (You can also sometimes visually strengthen the bottom by sheer size in comparison to higher, but much smaller sections. That can't happen here, obviously.) The upper parts can look good if they are lighter and fading towards the sky. The trim needn't be lighter, but the gable section should be since it is such a larger area..

L.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    10 years ago

Here is a house with bricks about the same as yours.

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

liriodendron, can you give a visual example of what you feel would look nice? I want to further understand what you are saying.

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Wed, Sep 18, 13 at 19:45

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I don't want to copy & paste Pam's photo, but look at her house in this post on the Landscaping forum. It's just about the same colors, and I think it looks terrific.

Link to Pam's thread

What's funny, kind of, is that I've been trying to get away from the colors we've had on the house for the last 17 years, and the green is almost exactly the same color we had on the door & shutters.

{{!gwi}}

This post was edited by marti8a on Wed, Sep 18, 13 at 20:48

• Fori
    10 years ago

The green is nice--that or perhaps a slight variation would be lovely. The babypoop yellow trim? Nah....

• randita
    10 years ago

I like the lighter gray green and I actually like the look without any shutters at all. To me, it seems like there's enough going on with the bricks, siding color, trim color, and roof color.

But I tend to like simplicity.

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

I like the green! What if the trim was a little lighter...more like the color of the top row of bricks. Looks like it's in between your current trim and the new trim color :)

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think that is the color awm03 put in the photoshopped version of lighter green with cream trim. The brick is really a light yellow/tan, but I think a dark cream would work well with it.

randita, I like the house without shutters too, but someone (and we suspect the builder) knocked out a bunch of soldiers so the original shutters would lay flat, and then filled in the holes with cement. So we have to put shutters back up.

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

Its âÂÂmy brick is ALMOST like PamâÂÂsâ thatâÂÂs going to make it hard or impossible to pull off PamâÂÂs look. If you enlarge PamâÂÂs brick even more you can see a slight gray with green in some of the brick. Also, is liriodendronâÂÂs message there somewhere? PamâÂÂs house has lots of height, texture and two different roof materials. Plus, the gorgeous landscaping colors to further assist the paint picks. Still, you could probably get away with the gray/green house color but maybe go even lighter than my sample and a tic grayer and my suggestion of a lighter version of the top brick color for trim.

EDITED for a try at a better picture of Pam's brick. Pam has a minority of your red-ish brown brick tones and you have a minority of her dark gray-ish tones. Except her gray-ish looks to have green in it and on my monitor your gray-ish looks to have blue and some blue/purple charcoal in it. However, it could be my monitor.

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Wed, Sep 18, 13 at 23:22

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

I like this! However, I do not know the acceptable colors of your neighborhood.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

jterrilynn, do you know what any of those colors are, or the gray green in your first answer? We're not in an HOA, so anything goes, and that's not always a good thing. lol

I LOVE the colors on Karenseb's home here. Is her house color close enough to mine that those colors would look good?

I told dh a lighter green with a gray tint in it, and he put this color on the house yesterday. I think it's too light and don't see any gray in it at all. He painted the green next to the green I did, but painted his yellow over the yellow I painted.

This morning I when I took this picture, I looked around my neighborhood and nearly every house has a shade of yellow with either green or brown trim. I'd like to be original but it seems it will look just like everyone else's house anyway.

I've got a software program that will let me try out different colors, but I lost the one I had downloaded when my computer crashed and can't find the CD right now. If anyone wants to take a stab at trying different colors, I'm open to anything.

This post was edited by marti8a on Thu, Oct 3, 13 at 19:06

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

Hi Marti, Lots of people here on this forum used paint / color consultants from their paint store with fantastic results. Your house is lovely so why settle after spending a bunch of money on paint just to have your house look ordinary â¦like everyone elseâÂÂs? What sort of paint brand do you want to use? Can you visit the desired store and inquire about paint color help at your home? I really think this is your best bet. IâÂÂm so very sorry I do not have names for the colors shown and even if I did they may not work as your brick will most likely look much different in person.

KarenâÂÂs house is beautiful, but not in your color family.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I had to laugh jterrilynn, because my dh works for a paint company and he is the LAST person who will help in color selection. We have 4 gallons of the mustard (baby poop) yellow sitting in the garage and he doesn't see why we don't just paint with that and get it over with.

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

Oh my Marti! Is he color blind lol? What I meant is that there are paint color consultants out there. Like any profession some are good and some are bad. I would ask aroundâ¦and maybe find a woman, statistically fewer women are color blind compared to men.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No, not color blind, just not tuned in to the fact that one color is better than another. It took me years to convince him that interior walls could be a color other than white or antique white. Probably part of that is due to working with commercial contractors so long.

• badgergal
    10 years ago

Marti8a, I live in a subdivision were the majority of houses are a shade of tan/ taupe. My house was one of those. One day on the way to a friends house, I saw a house that had been a shade of yellow that was now a fabulous new color. My DH and I both commented on how great the house looked. We knew right then that was the color we wanted for our house. A short while after that my DH stopped and talked to the owners of that house. We assured them we did not live in the same area and they were happy to share the paint information.

The color was Sherwin Williams Retreat and I immediately bought it for my house. As I was painting the house, I had people in the neighborhood that I didn't even know stop to tell me how much they liked it. A person who did some work at our house asked for the color name and if he could take a picture to show his wife.

I tried that color on the picture of your house but it didn't seem quite right with your brick. I did try another color though that looks good to me on the computer. So below is my very first attempt to use Sherwin Williams paint visualizer tool. I didn't do the trim on your house. (On my house I just used a version of Navajo White for the trim and it works well.)

In case you are interested the color is SW Cast Iron

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks! That does look good; it's a nice greenish gray. I'll try that tool. I played with the one at the PPG website and with that picture, some of the colors looked pretty good. Then I found an older photo without the color dabbed on the gable and all the same colors looked icky.

• christine40
    10 years ago

we have the same color brick as you do---it's a reclaimed brick....very popular here. It's got almost a coral cast to it?? We went with a clay color and dark bronze trim..

Before:

After:

This post was edited by christine40 on Fri, Oct 4, 13 at 7:32

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

If it were me I would pick this combo from Sherwin Williams âÂÂGreigeâ pallet. It would be a way to use colors that would look good with your brick but in an updated way. You could even check out the next shade darker than Utterly Beige for your house color. Don't even try to go by the chit colors as they do not come close...buy some samples.

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Fri, Oct 4, 13 at 13:21

• Karenseb
    10 years ago

I like the SW Cast Iron color as it is a nice contrast for your light brick and picks up on the grays in the bricks. Very nice.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I finally dug out my software and have been playing with your ideas and some of mine. I don't know if any of you remember, but I had done this before and that's how I ended up with the dark yellow paint. But that was before the bricklayer screwed up and we had to stain all the brick.

Soooo, here it is with the current brick color. Would any of these entice a buyer? I have a favorite, but I don't want to influence you. Ignore the porch posts, rails and gable trim for now.

You can see more renditions on my flickr account (I hope. I just set it up today.)

• franksmom_2010
    10 years ago

#2 or 3. I would like #2 even better if you used a trim color that's close to the lightest shade in the bricks.

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

I like #2 but not the white trim. I like #3 but not the white trim and the door needs to be a tad more vibrant or I could imagine it in a high gloss with nice hardware.

• franksmom_2010
    10 years ago

Oh, and if you go with a red front door, I can recommend either "Chianti" or "Cinnamon Cherry", both by Behr. I have brick with a similar undertone, and both of those colors looked great.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm not crazy about the white trim either but I was trying for the main siding color and shutters. A lot of houses around here seem to have the fascia and soffit painted the same color as the siding. Any other idea for fascia color?

This post was edited by marti8a on Wed, Oct 9, 13 at 12:42

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh, I found another I had done too, and can't seem to add to flickr right now.

• texasgal47
    10 years ago

I vote for #2 but w/o white trim as well. Could you do a mock-up using the colors of #2 but with the added porch trim and trim around the door as on #3? Love that porch & door treatment of #3!

• User
    10 years ago

I like #2 also but what about using color #3 as the trim color.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok, here is #2 with the trim color from #3.

When we bought the house, it had the turned posts that are on it now, with plain railings that were warped and had some rot so we took those down.

The most common posts on new homes around here are square cedar or redwood posts. I always thought I'd beef up the posts and go back with railings so it would visually bring the porch forward to compete with that big gable. But the color plays a part in that too. I don't really care for railings with dark paint. The posts and rails were originally a reddish color, along with the door, shutters and fascia and the siding was a yellow color, just about the color of the yellow someone dubbed baby poop yellow. It was faded and looked really drab when we bought it.

p.s. I'm glad none of you picked one of the greens. As much as I tried to like green on the gable, it just didn't work for me.

This post was edited by marti8a on Wed, Oct 9, 13 at 12:43

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

That looks real nice Marti! Just for the halibut can you do a picture of #3 with the sable trim but no railing just the posts and a slightly more vibrant door but in the same color family as the trim? Maybe a slightly âÂÂtadâ brighter eggplant?

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Is there one in particular that you see as sable?

Here's one using a SW sable on the fascia, removing the roof color, and leaving everything else he same.

I have to admit that while that siding color matches the brick pretty well, it's my least favorite color.

This post was edited by marti8a on Wed, Oct 9, 13 at 12:39

• User
    10 years ago

not good at this but thought I would give it a try I was trying to get the trim closer to the brick color (using paint)

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

Marti I see what you mean by the posts not looking good in darker shades. I tried it on this one and it looked not nice. I like the darker trim on the brick area but not the porch areaâ¦is that strange?

Oh I added brass hardware and kick plate to make the door pop.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I know. When it comes to the turned posts and rails, I only like white or very light colors. I think it's the crisp look they give. But on the squared posts, darker colors are good, better probably.

We are thinking of replacing the door. Dh wants a wood door with a bigger glassed area to let more light into the living room. That would be nice but it puts another color into the mix.

Along with paint, I need to decide if I'm going back with the turned posts and rails, or the chunkier square posts.

When I showed dh all my paint renditions and asked which one he liked, he chose the photo of the house the way it is now. So he lost his voting privileges.

Update: I just called dh and asked him to bring home a quart of paint. It's a dark color like the BM 1489 Devonshire Green (which looks more gray than green) but not as dark. He looked up the BM color on a comparison chart and it is a really dark color on the chip.

I mentioned painting the siding light and darker on the fascia but he thinks we need to match the fascia to gutter (which we haven't done yet). That's why he thinks we should do white trim - because they will match white gutters. We're going to have seamless gutters put on and I found a few links to gutter companies and their colors. Not as varied as paint of course, but they do come in many colors. Link to gutter colors I know we could paint gutters, but dh doesn't want to start out with them painted.

This post was edited by marti8a on Wed, Oct 9, 13 at 16:08

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

What do you think of CLblakey's above? Looks pretty nice!

• juddgirl2
    10 years ago

I like #2, with the gray/green color, but with cream trim. Pretty brick!

• User
    10 years ago

I wonder how close the buckskin brown gutter color is to your bricks very close to this

• User
    10 years ago

now here it is on the house

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I like it. Dh brought home a lighter shade last night and I didn't like it at all, so he is bringing home this shade I hope. The painter suggested a lighter gray tone for the fascia, but I don't know about it. I'll try it out tonight.

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think I've got the right siding color here. I painted the section on the left and then took the picture before it was dry so it shows lighter than it will when dry. The section on the right was painted over the green so it is probably about right.

Now for the hard part. The trim colors.

I don't like the darker color A that I started with even though I have 3 gallons of it. :(

Color B is the one dh brought home the other night. It is the greige color but about 1/4 the intensity.

Color C is a mixture of half color A and half color E. I think a mix of 2 parts color A and 1 part color E would be a better match to the brick.

Color D is Navajo White and is the 2nd lightest color on the same strip in the color deck as the greige. It's got a bit more yellow than shows in the photo, at least in the sunlight. It's a bit cloudy right now.

Color E is a color called Parafin that the paint contractor picked.

I just realized I don't have a close up of the greige with the color that is on the fascia now. You can still see it in the overall photo. I'll call that color F. It's been on the house since 2003 so probably faded, not that I know what color it was anyway.

There is one color I like, but again, don't want to influence you. I just want to see if you agree, though I know you can't see the colors like I see them.

An issue for me, that both dh & the painter are blowing off, is the porch posts, rails, and shutters. If we use redwood or cedar posts, I'd match the shutters to them. That brings in another color I'd have to choose. If we use the existing turned posts and add rails, I'd paint them the same color as the trim but use a darker color for the shutters.

From all the photoshopping done here, which do you think would look best on this house, big square posts or turned posts and rails? I live in an area where Victorian houses and that look are very popular, but most of the newer houses built around us have redwood posts and other rustic touches.

• jterrilynn
    10 years ago

First pick C, second pick C!

• Karenseb
    10 years ago

I like C also. Although a little more A mixed in could change my mind. It is hard to tell from small swatches. Color perception can change depending on what they are surrounded by!
    To me the C on the lower right looks lighter than the C on the upper left, but I am sure they are the same.
    When we painted our garage recently, the color at first appeared so dark, but only because the paint surrounding it was so light. The more we covered the original color, the lighter the new color appeared. It is all relative.

• jesshs
    10 years ago

I like C and D.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County