SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
boystown

Saddle Color Leather Furniture

boystown
12 years ago

I have saddle color leather furniture, I think it is the color, similar to this: http://www.potterybarn.com/products/brooklyn-leather-armchair/ What color do you suggest for the walls? I also have reds in the room along with a caramel colored carpet. The room does not get much natural light and it faces North. I have thought about SW Latte but just not sure. Please help me with paint colors for the walls. Thank you

Comments (25)

• lizzie_nh
    12 years ago

Looking at the SW latte "chip" online, I don't think that's the best choice, unless it really looks different in person.

Are you looking to make the leather and the room look very warm and rich? Or soothing and earthy and neutral?

As far as a complementary color goes, to make the leather pop, a green tone would be a great pick, both for the red in the room, and the somewhat orange-toned brown furniture, as well as the camel carpeting. You could go a light green (but not pastel), something like BM Aganthus Green:

I think that would be light enough in a room which doesn't get much natural light. I'd suggest a red or terra cotta, or darker green, for a "library" feel, but I think that may be too dark for your room. There are also shades of yellow or cream you could choose, but, like choosing a beige wall color, it gets tricky when you're working with a brown-tone in the furniture upholstery, and beige carpeting.

• boystown
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you---warm and rich is what I would like to accomplish. The green is nice but like the idea of a cream or a neutral yellow better. Please keep on coming up with ideas. Don't know why I purchased this color of leather except I thought it would be easier to decorate around. Bummer

• Related Discussions

Color wall paint with oxblood leather furniture

Q

Comments (1)
    See the link for discussion on color schemes Here is a link that might be useful: color schemes
    ...See More

Wall colors w/ oxblood leather furniture please

Q

Comments (8)
    We're getting an oriental rug also. Maybe I should look at those now and find a color in it to put on walls. I just don't want the sofas to stand out very much. Our paintings are all antique and equestrian in nature. A horsey look if you know what I mean. I will look up the Squash color and others suggested. Our dining room is terracotta with old, mossy green trim so I need something that will go with that as well. That's why I am leaning toward the earthy caramel/brick reds. I think I am getting into a color range here that I can live with. It's just a matter of keeping on looking until the fireworks goes off. I want to really love it. We've waited a long time to be able to get the love seat and sofa of our dreams. I just thought it would be saddle leather, not oxblood. I so appreciate your input. More tomorrow.
    ...See More

Help with Color Combinations to go with Leather Furniture

Q

Comments (1)
    Greens are great with leather!!! (I'm assuming it's a brown tone) I will speak to the SW colors as I haven't had my BM color fan returned yet... Garden Sage has a much yellower undertone than the Herbal Wash, which is grayer. Both are beautiful. For your entry, a warm color would be nice. I'd do Biltmore Buff with the Garden Sage & Dromedary Camel with the Herbal Wash. With either company, you can upload a picture of your room on their websites Color Visualizer tool. Then you can "paint" your walls. It's very fun & pretty darn accurate!!! ~Jeana
    ...See More

What color pillows can I use with brown leather furniture and mahogany

Q

Comments (19)
    Go for color/texture/pattern that enhances the style of your room. If modern, maybe cream or tan with a woven or nubby texture. Is there any art, rugs, drapes in the room that you can pull a color from? I have brown leather with dark wood sofas and chairs in the living room. I wanted sort of a world/mid-eastern vibe (not too heavy-handed), so my pillows are a variety of fabrics/patterns that resemble oriental rugs. Actually, one of them is a kilim rug remnant. There are a variety of browns, tans, greens, greys, blues, red, yellow, white and orange. Maybe pick one patterned pillow and some plain ones that compliment it.
    ...See More
  • lizzie_nh
    12 years ago

I have a soft yellow on my living room walls. I'm not sure I LOVE it... it's the same color as in my kitchen (where I do love it) but since the kitchen is open to the living room, I continued the color. The color (get ready for it...) is Glidden "Uplifting". NO color chip or photo online properly represents it. It's a soft buttery yellow. In any case, we have darker brown leather chairs, but somewhat lighter brown wooden side tables, and some woven baskets in different tones. The yellow complements them all. The only reason I'm not sure I love it is that I'm just not really a yellow person, for anything but the kitchen.

While I said it can be hard to pick a good yellow or cream, I think the more other colors you bring in, the larger your selection of "workable" yellow or cream colors becomes. If you have a throw, or pillows, or maybe an area rug, so it's not mainly just wall color, leather, and carpeting, more and more colors will work.

• sweeby
    12 years ago

In a room with low light, a DARK paint color will give you the warmth and richness you are looking for and highlight the earthiness of your leather. By DARK, I mean really, really dark. Scare the pants off you dark. Flip out the guy in the paint store dark.

I'd suggest a dark olive'y green, a deep berry red, or a rich plum. You'd really have to see it in pictures to buy into it, but DO take the time to look.

My husband's office has saddle-colored leather, slate floors, and DARK green paint. I chose the dark paint to minimize the room's oddball shape, but the overall effect is amazing. That's the room everybody compliments in our house, and it's because of the paint color.

• boystown
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Your husbands office sounds amazing. Would you have any pictures to share?? Thanks

• pps7
    12 years ago

Agree with sweeby, do not be afraid to go dark. I love dark wall colors and leather. And BTW, I love the saddle color leather.

Sorry, I just don't see yellow doing much for the leather. A warm white would be nice, but I would hesitate to do white in a low light room.

I'm thinking navy (I know I'm on a Navy kick lately)- BM Hale Navy. Green would be nice too. BM Nantucket gray is not too dark. Hampshire gray is very nice. Be careful with the green and red- you want it to look too christmasy.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Here are some photos of the Ernest Hemingway furniture by Thomasville. The only reason I am sending them is that they contain beautiful saddle color leather furniture and you can see the colors used with the furniture. As you can see, the wood floor has golden tones to it which your caramel carpet should be equal to. Also, the rooms show some red, but it is used sparingly. You may have to swap some of the colors around, but the colors should work with what you already have.

By the way, I have leather furniture that I love, but I do wish it was the beautiful saddle color leather.

• boystown
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh, Walnutcreek, I love those photos and this is certainly my style. The light color of the walls just make this room. It is stunning. I know one poster mentioned that the lack of natural light is definately a problem and it is but I sure like the white or off white walls. Thank you so much. I do love the saddle leather but had not idea it would present such a problem with wall color.

• sweeby
    12 years ago

"I do love the saddle leather but had not idea it would present such a problem with wall color."

It doesn't at all! You're thinking of things in the wrong order -- taking a neutral (saddle leather really IS a neutral) and building around that. We had the same problem when we started from our cross-cut travertine floors -- looking for something to complement them, instead of starting with a mental paint palette and asking "Would travertine be awful with that?"

And sorry - no pictures of Hubby's office. As I said, the shape of the room is really, really strange, so it doesn't photograph well.

But I did find some good photos by Googling 'dark green room' --

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    12 years ago

I am having a hard time understanding why a nice off-white or cream paint should not be used in a low light room. I have off-white walls in three rooms and they look great.

• boystown
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Is there such a color as a "warm Cream" I sure could use some suggestions on paint colors names. I do think that the off white rooms look very nice with the beams in the ceiling. I too have beams in this room but only 1 double window.

• juddgirl2
    12 years ago

I used SW Camelback in my living room and think it complements my saddle color couches. It's a medium yellow toned tan that has a
    slight green cast in the evening.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Here are some colors that I think might be fine; they are all from Benjamin Moore. Milkyway, 2018-70; Bavarian Cream, OC-123; Easter Lily, 2150-70; Mayonnaise, 2152-70; Ivory Tusk, OC-91; Pale Celery, 2150-60; You Are My Sunshine, 302; Cottontail, 2155-70. There are many, many options. I have linked a Benjamin Moore color gallery that may be useful to you in selecting some colors to try.

Here is a link that might be useful: Color Gallery

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Could you post a picture of your room to help everyone give advice, please.

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

I'm posting these pics because dark green rooms was mentioned. This is my library, and I would love to have at least one piece of saddle colored leather furniture in here some day. Side walls are dark green and end walls are a dark yellow ochre color. Not sure of the names of the paint because I did this many years ago. Ceiling is dark gold also.

Please excuse the tapestry above the door, I threw it up there for Christmas one year and never took it down. Used to have a deer head in that spot which hung higher.
    {{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    12 years ago

I just saw an episode on Dear Genevieve. In it, she painted basement walls and bookcases a lovely off-white. The basement had extremely low-light; however, the off-white made all of the furniture and artwork just pop. Beautiful.

• InteriorStylist
    12 years ago

Some people are comfortable in dark rooms, some people aren't. (I love them but you aren't me) If you prefer lighter colors, I would suggest SW Restrained Gold. (It's really a mid-tone, but I think that or "Blonde" is as light as you might want to go)Then use Navajo White on the ceiling. If you love dark colors, I would vote for dark green. I like SW Secret Garden.

You can upload a pic of your room on SW's Color Visualizer on their website & "paint" your room.

~ Jeana

• boystown
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jeana; I do like your suggestion for RG. I had forgotten about that color. It was and is so popular. I will grab a sample of it and camelback. What color drapes would you suggest: matching the wallcolor or going for a rust kind of color. I know that I want a grommet drape. Thanks for your suggestion

• sweeby
    12 years ago

That Secret Garden is EXACTLY the color I was suggesting! It's magic with saddle leather -- FWIW, our window trim is stained (a golden oak-tone on pine) and the casings are an even darker grey-green. Really, a very rich and comforting combination that set the tone for the whole house.

• InteriorStylist
    12 years ago

I would go for a lush gark green olive-y silk for the draperies if you go for the RG on the walls, or with the Secret Garden Walls, a gold like RG.for the draperies. (I'd prefer the RG with green draperies myself.)

~Jeana

• Roberta Storer
    12 years ago

I too have saddle-color leather furniture. I had an independent color consultant come and she suggested using SW Blonde with Mannered Gold on the fireplace wall. My family room is a 2-story room with adequate light (window films on all the windows). Then the SW consultant came and suggested using colors on the No. 16 strip, e.g. Kilim Beige (SW 6106) on the walls with Latte (SW 6108) on the fireplace wall. I have been playing around with paint samples and am leaning towards Interactive Cream (SW 6113) and with either SW Totally Tan (SW 6115) or Tatami Tan (6116) on the fireplace wall. this strip (#17) seems to blend with the saddle color. Not sure if this is a good thing or not.

Has anyone used any of these colors? Do you have any photos of interactive cream?

I'm new to posting, but not new to the site. I have been searching for weeks trying to figure out the paint colors for the house.

Bert

• InteriorStylist
    12 years ago

Bert - Interactive Cream is pretty orange as is the Totally Tan & Tatami Tan. It's not going to make the saddle pop. Though I love Kilim Beige, it's not right with saddle leather - it will just die on the walls. The first color consultant is correct, IMHO. Go with Blonde, Restrained Gold, Mannered Gold.

Start your own thread with pics of your room if you can. You can also upload a pic of your room on SW's website's Color Visualizer & "paint" your room any & all SW colors!!!

~Jeana

• dakota01
    12 years ago

Funny, I am going to try and sell my saddle colored leather couch and chair. I love the color, I love the quality of this set, but it's time for a change.
    I used SW carmel, and a warm cream for the trim, I had light colored ww textured carpet. The built-ins and fireplace surround were a medium brown stain. I think someone suggested an olive green and I think that would look nice too. Some of my toss pillows were beige w/olive greens.

• Roberta Storer
    12 years ago

Jeanna--thanks. I have photos--just have to figure out how to post them. Will try tonight. I appreciate the advice.

• arbpdl
    12 years ago

I have the same color furniture, and have moved twice, struggling with wall color each time. Now I'm facing a third move, and thinking of not going with either of the previous colors. I think toooooo much.

The first house was very large and totally open - lots of natural light from every direction. I ultimately chose Lowes Fairmont Suite Gold. I liked it, and got lots of compliments. The window treatments were hard though, because brown didn't do it, gold was too much, red was wrong .... finally I went to a quilting shop and found a paisley that was called chocolate but was really a black background with gold and about 4 shades of warm browns, one of which was identical to the leather furniture. It also has the tiniest amount of dark olive green in it. I used black drapes and made swags from this fabric, as well as throw pillows.

Then I moved and the furniture found itself in a much smaller room, closed off, but with super high ceilings that made the room not feel as tiny as it is. I went with my favorite dark olive green .... which I cannot for the life of me recall the name of now. Ugh. Looks great!

Now I'm moving to a small townhouse, decent natural light but the views aren't so nice - the parking lot in the front and the back of the row of townhouses on the next street - most of which have heavily toy-littered yards. I will definitely be using some full sheers to block the less than pleasant view. The lr color will need to flow up the stairs and in to the hall, so I'm not liking the dark green. The gold I used previously feels too intense for the space.

I'm strongly considering finding a much lighter gold ... but that's hard because it seems the lighter you go on the card, the more yellow pops out. I like gold; I do not like yellow. I suspect I'll end up with a golden tan as opposed to a gold.

BTW, I'm still using the same fabric that I bought for the first house and it looks just as good with the green as it did with the dark gold. I know for economy's sake I should take it to house #3 and yes, I do like it, but I'm also getting a little burned out on it.

Please let me know what you choose to go with. It's always nice to get real home photo inspirations as opposed to magazines and professionally staged photos.