SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ricksr_gw

Portable emergency generator

ricksr
16 years ago

Hi, I recently read through all the portable generator postings, I didn't find what I was looking for, however I did gain a great deal of information for taking that time. Maybe someone can answer my question. I live in the outskirts of Seattle, with all the winter wind storms I bought a small 3000 watt Alton Generator at Costco. My question is, we have a transfer switch installed for hooking up a generator that will power the furnace fan, fridge and a few lights. The generator has a selector for 120 volts or 240 volts, it has 1 240 recepticle and 2 duplex recepticles for the 120 volts. I understand the swith needs to be on 120 volt for the duplex plugs and the 240 setting for the 240 recepticle. It also has a 4 prong plug for running an L-14 plug from the generator to the transfer swith, when hooking into the transfer switch should the setting be on the 120 volt or the 240 volt? The manual is pretty vague and 2 emails to Alton have been unanswered. Any information would be appreciated.

Thank you and regards,

Rick Dyke

Comments (10)