SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tonistroubles

120/240 wiring for dryer-Please help

tonistroubles
16 years ago

Needing clean clothes!! Ok--so the laundry room portion of unexpected remodel is finally complete, along with new washer and dryer. All hooked up, clothes washed, clothes tumbled in dryer, clothes wet.Alas--no heat. Called the appliance store and as I was suspecting, he said it must be in our wiring--which my husband and or a friend or two did. To make sure, I inquired from appliance guy about checking curcuit at receptical with voltage meter (hubby wasn't home and I am a year behind in laundry). So into the outlet I went with my prongs (this is a 3 hole outlet amazingly matching up with the 3 prong plug which was already on the dryer when delivered), anyway, I got a 240 V reading in the 2 slanted prongs but not anything when switching to slanted and L shaped(supposed to get 110-120 according to appliance guy)No breakers were thrown. Hubby returns. "Can't be a problem with the hookup" he says. Upon investigation-he hates it when I investigate his work--I find he did wire the receptical with 10 g 3 wire + ground to a double 30 amp breaker, red and black wire going to each, and the white to the grounding screw things on the right of the breaker box.And the bare copper grounding wire? Just hanging around--Because "there is no place to put a 4th wire in a 3 hole receptical" I am guessing this is the problem, and we are operating without the 120 portion? If so, what is the best solution? Get a new cord with 4 prongs/pigtails or whatever and a mmatching receptical and rewire both of those? The wiring diagram for dryer supposedly ( no it is) in manual. And I guess doing 4 wires to receptical about the same as three. Or is there a simpler answer or even a totally different one? And where does the nuetral white wire go in our curcuit box? ( just so I know what to look for) I really planned on getting an electrician or home inspector here before everything was finalized, but am now thinking maybe sooner than later, as we are adding spa tub etc. Also can anyone reccomend any good sites with pictures? I have a hard time with all the terminology. Sorry this is so long a post, and a million thanks to anyone who takes the time to read it and respond. By the way, could faulty or overloaded wiring/circuits cause a microwave to decrease in power and a refrigerator fan to stop running correctly? And now I am noticing that my lamps blink off a split second when the AC kicks in. And then there are the plumbing issues..but that is for another forum huh? I really did spend hours trying to find all these answers in previous lines--so sorry again, I know they are there somewhere. Humbly, Toni

Comments (11)