SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rpj2004

Electrical repair questions

rpj2004
16 years ago

I just moved and I'm renting out a really old house with old electrical wiring.

I tested my desktop computer in a three prong outlet using a surge protector, and it worked fine. I then attempted to install the computer across the room where my desk is using a different outlet. This was a two prong outlet, so I bought a two to three prong converter for it, and plugged my surge protector in there. I didn't even turn my computer on, but about a minute after plugging it in sparks started shooting from the power supply of my computer. It is now dead.

I called the landlord, and they sent an electrician in. He told me that the outlet has something called "reverse polarity" and on top of that, the outlet is ungrounded, and the circuit it is on has a 20A circuit breaker even though the circuit is only rated for 15A. He did not repair this reverse polarity problem yet because there are may be other outlets with the same problem on that circuit.

My questions are on what repairs must be done by the landlord. Does anybody know if they are required to make repairs on this type of problem for the tenant?

Also, what repairs would be necessary?

1) Do two prong outlets have to be grounded?

2) Do two prong outlets have to be correctly poled?

3) Must they install three prong outlets?

4) Must they correct the circuit breaker amperage rating problem?

5) Will the necessary repairs make it possible for me to plug in my computer there?

I REALLY appreciate your help. I want to make sure my landlord isn't cutting any corners on my safety or rights.

Comments (21)