SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hrsg

Mosaic *Doll* Mannequin WIP

16 years ago

Okay, it is for sure that I have gone around the bend.

Bought this several months ago (okay a year), and have just today started to work my evil plan.

Before Front:

Before Back:

Starting:

Here's the insane part, the perspective shot:

The tesserae (seed beads, bugle beads, porcelain flowers, and the "tool" (hat pin) I'm using to apply the "tesserae".

I plan to make a full gown from beads, and string the lower part so it reaches just above the base. I do have the arms, but will add those later with white gloves.

Thoughts? Besides the fact that I'm just plain nuts. ~: )

Comments (58)

• 16 years ago

OMG that's too funny! Now we know how they do it in the movies! Thanks for the laugh, and I LOVE the design you're doing on the "clothing!" Very pretty!

• 16 years ago

That's going to be so beautimous! And, do it while you can still see (for those of us who can't)! Can't wait to see more pics of your progress.

• Related Discussions

My WIP - another mirror

Q

Comments (23)
    now it shows up completely... it's going to be a really nice mirror.. but where's the mirror going? underneath the flowers or around them..I havne't done one, so don't know how the pieces are laid out.?
    ...See More

almost wip and just barely wip and ................

Q

Comments (13)
    Ladyronnie, Your link is the same place I got my idea from. Course mine is not going to be so wonderful as her's is. I wanted to just do something really simple. I have a second fountain and will get more pipe and do another one for it later on when I feel like getting tedious.I just love what she did. Hoping to get back to work on mine soon as our company leaves.I am so glad you put up the link. I had it on my old computer and lost it. The glass checks are still just sitting on my dresser in the office. The more I look at them sort of uneven the more I am liking the look. Weird I know. I do not think I ewill make myself crazy trying to get each square perfect. Can't wait to work on that too. I need some more purple glass so will have to finish the fountain first and wait for a trip to town. Chris
    ...See More

Table Top WIP

Q

Comments (16)
    Thanks Everyone. I do want to do the bottom shelf sometime later. I need to gather some china plate edge pieces first then I can go crazy with it. I have tiles already stacked in bags on the other table I would like to do and an idea in my head so I will go with it right away. Hopefully when all the dust settles and glue is dry I will be ready to have a grout fest with the two tables and my lady. Will be easier for me if I do not have to deal with keeping one hand dry. Off to go push some tiles around. This table was very fun to do.My Mom and Dad gave it to me many years ago and it was in a wrecked state with legs warped and top lifting. Mom will be interested to see what I have done to it. LOL Chris
    ...See More

Head Wip

Q

Comments (18)
    I'm about ready for bed but had to check the forum one last time. I'm sitting here LOL cuz I know a lotta you ladies personally now, and it feels like were're sitting together, having 'ritas and yacking. Yeah, BAMA, where's the popcorn. I have half my "Headlight" mosaiced and don't like it. So - what's new??? I don't like half my stuff until I show it to y'all. Might have pics tomorrow of WIP. I LOVE THIS PLAYGROUND. Get on w/it, CRACK! Oh, BTW - what's the status of yours, BAMA??????? Off to bed now.
    ...See More
  • 16 years ago

OHMYGOODNESS, HRSG! That is sooooo creative, and w/be a real beauty when finished. What kind of "string" w/you use for the skirt of the gown? One of the mosaicists, on a website I can't remember right now, made a piece called "Wings", and I think she used muslin. I'm sure in yall's search you've run across her - can't remember right now, but there were two pieces on a stand - looks sorta like a lamp - and parts of the muslin were mosaiced. I wrote her but she didn't respond. I was wondering if she had stiffened the muslin. Beading takes forever - I used to use the sizes youu're using to cover blown eggs for Christmas ornaments, but no patience for that now. I admire your challenging project, and await updates.

• 16 years ago

I don't think I've seen anything like it. How patient are you to work with tiny beads. I can't wait until you finish. My fingers are way too clumsy with beads. I always get more on the floor than on my project.

• 16 years ago

Dang dang dang. WOW that will be super nice when done. ANd using all those tiny beads. I would go nuts. Can't wait to see it all done.

• 16 years ago

man oh man...are those beads about a size eleven?...
    that's way too ambitious for me, besides not being able to see with out bifocals now....
    at first I thought they were a size 8 but now I just can't tell...way to go! are you going to string the skirt and let it free flow down in strands?..that would be really pretty

the perspective shot was a shocker...lol

;(*_*);

• 16 years ago

Lol....that is just to cool!!! I am known to use small things like that..YOU GO GIRL!! I love the micro mosaics. They give you room for such detail.

What adhesive are you using to put the beads on with?

That will be so divine when your done!!! Great idea...BRAVO!!!!

• 16 years ago

Great Doll base. That is going to be fabulous!
    Love the design you have started. What a unique project...
    I love it!

Hazie

• 16 years ago

When I first saw it, I thought you were using red glass globs/half marbles, so the perspective shot blew me away!!! Have you been hanging out with Our Queen of Small: Chickee??!! And of course it is a true mosaic, not all mosaics are grouted, if that's what you mean. Remember that guitar that was not grouted and we had a consencus of whether we prefered no grout? This is so adorable! But weren't you not supposed to show me my Gift exchange?!? LOL!

• 16 years ago

WOW!!! Thank you all so very much! I'm thrilled you all like it, and think it is a mosaic.

Slow & seaglassic
    I'm thinking of using some fishing line for beading the skirt portion, and then putting it onto a thin fabric for support. Muslin does sound like a good solution, too.

Chickee
    I'm using Aleen's craft glue to adhere the beads to the form. It dries fast, and secure for this purpose. Whatever I use to seal the whole piece will need to be more permanent, and solid. That was why I was thinking resin.

Here are some progress shots from this morning.

Now I need to decide the pattern to use on the skirt beading. Any thoughts? And thank you all again for your input!!! ~: )

• 16 years ago

If she didn't look so victorian, I'd probably do strings of beads hanging down like a flapper dress. I'd keep the theme of red and black most likely.

• 16 years ago

Helen, I KNEW when I saw this was from you that it couldn't possibly actually be an "evil" plan. This is so lovely. I'm with Jane (and probably everybody else) your perspective shot blew me away.

I have some thoughts...You could paint on the resin, so there's enough to stick the beads together together, but little enough that the texture still comes through. I'm thinking I would do this on the bodice before I added the skirt, so no stray drips got on the skirt.

I can't picture how you have in mind to do the skirt, but here's an idea. IF you wanted the skirt to be "solid" (immovable)...you could string your beads onto a fabric, maybe muslin like SLOW said, cut into a "skirt" shape. Make a foil form around your doll cone-shaped where you want to the skirt to go. Place/attach the skirt, then paint the skirt with epoxy also. The foil would hold its shape until the resin dried. It stays pliable plenty long enough to reshape folds as needed until you were satisfied with it. Pull the foil out when the resin is hard. Part of the foil might stick permanently to the underside of the skirt, but no one would see it unless they looked up her skirt!

I am getting inspired to add yet another TBM project to the list! BTW, if you do something T-O-tally different from my suggestion, no biggie. I was just keyboard-dreaming out loud :)

• 16 years ago

That sounds like a great idea Ronnie! You are too kind with your compliments. *Blush*

Trying to find my beading book so I can find a pattern for the skirt. Your idea for the way to form it sounds like a good way to go.

Sirius
    I'm going to stay with the black, silver and red as you suggested.

Thank you ladies!!!

• 16 years ago

Wow, that is just coming along so great! It is so adorable. The skirt will be so great!!! You are working so fast.

• 16 years ago

GEESH - she's on "speed" control. LOVELY. One of my thoughts was to use the beading wire and slightly shape/flare the skirt at the bottom, but I also like LADY's suggestion. Then again, w/a nylon cord, the skirt would look nice if it were just swingy/loose and free flowing from the waist. Whatever your creative mind comes up w/I'd want to copy! You are a real piece of work!

• 16 years ago

This is awesome!I really thought she was big til we saw the bottle.I am loving it and my gosh so quick too.I love it,I love it!where is she going in your house?Here is the bottom of one dress but I think beads would be better hanging from yours ,maybe a combination?

http://mosaicartsource.wordpress.com/2007/04/14/mosaic-arts-international-2007-members-choice-lambasciatrice-mosaic-artist-julie-richey/

• 16 years ago

Dear MiniMicroMosaicQueen: That is a KILLER mosaic!

• 16 years ago

That is comong along so nice!! No way could I stand to do something that small!!

Maria

• 16 years ago

Oh man. That is sooooo out of my league! If it were mine, I'd use a tube sock.. (the really nice ones with the striped tops), and make her a mini skirt to go with the beaded top.
    Sorry, that's the best I've got. I'm a redneck and I can't sew!! LOL

• 16 years ago

HRSG I am LOVING your Doll mannequin. I have SCADS of bead patterns if you need me to send you some just email me.I can either take pictures or print them off for you.

Chris

• 16 years ago

Thank you all again! ~: ) I'm so glad you are enjoying this project.

Annie
    That is so cool! Mixing medias is so much fun, and always brings a surprise.

Shades
    If you have something that is relatively simple pattern that can be repeated, I would love to have it! You can email me:
    hsg@inbox.com

The back of the gown will be mostly fabric, and the beads will be in the front. After looking at the Victorian period clothes there is no way I could do a bustle properly.

So I found one gown that I think I can duplicate for the most part.

• 16 years ago

HRSG, I just googled Beaded Fringe and came up with this for you to think about. This fringe is to buy but you can use the patterns to give you an idea on how to make your own. Tomottow I will go out to the studio and see if there is something better for you.
    I also saw a great simple twisted fringe. amd the directions for it but no picture. It is all the same beads with a larger ending bead and then the strand is doubled back on itself and twisted. Looks great on tassles and I wold think it would give the fullness for a skirt if you are looking for really simple.

I do not know how to do two links so you will have to copy paste this one.

http://beadwork.about.com/b/2005/03/03/making-twisted-bead-fringe.htm

Chris

Here is a link that might be useful: Beaded Fringe

• 16 years ago

Chris
    Thanks for those links, and actually I think I did find one that would work for just what I am wanting.

You rock!

• 16 years ago

Helen, she's beautiful!

• 16 years ago

Oh, yeah, a string doubled back on itself w/work fine for a bustle. Dind't spend much time on the link cuz I kept getting a message to download a language pack or something, and I didn't see any prices. Looks like a fabulous source for beads/fringe, though.

• 16 years ago

She's beautiful!
    So do you have googly eye's after a bead gluing session?
    I sure would.

• 16 years ago

I LOVE HER!! Very creative, what a cool project!

• 16 years ago

She's gorgeous! I can't get over your patience in working with the tiny beads! I JUMPED at your water bottle picture! :)

• 16 years ago

Beautiful work! I admire your patience too with such a small project!

• 16 years ago

Thank you all for the wonderful comments!

Yes, working with the beads did make my eyes cross a bit, but it was not as bad as I thought it would be.

Worked on the sewing portion of the base skirt today. Have to say it is coming along good. I think she is less of a mosaic at this point though, and more of a sewing/beading project.

I'll post more pictures tomorrow, but I'm tired now.
    Night ladies! Dream of beautiful creations! ~: )

• 16 years ago

Admire your patience...she is turning out so beautiful..very unique...anxious to see her fininshed...

• 16 years ago

Hey...it's "tomorrow."

WE-WANT-PICTURES
    WE-WANT-PICTURES

(those of us who are NOT presently working on our stuff have to live vicariously through you, you know.)

• 16 years ago

AMEN MARY!!!

• 16 years ago

Evening ladies! Sorry these are a bit late in coming.~: )

This one is taking on a life of its own. Turning into a sewing project, and I've never tackled period clothes. Or doll clothes for that matter. OY!!!

Need to decide if the front will be beaded or add flowers (like her hair flower) along the waist line. Also what to do along the top of the bustle in the back. Help? lol

If you want to check for all the progress shots to see beading, etc. check the set: Here

Otherwise here is the progress thus far, and thank you all soooooo much for all your help and input.

• 16 years ago

OH MMYYYY!!! OH MY.... I"M TOTALLY SPEECHLESS! Thats FABULOUS Helen, wow!

I think I have to go back to micheals and buy all those little dress forms they had ... dang!

• 16 years ago

Geez.. that certainly looks better than my tube sock idea.
    It's GREAT!!

• 16 years ago

LOL! Susan. ~: )

• 16 years ago

Just LOVELY, girlie. Isn't it funny how we start out w/an idea, and then it totally morphs into something else? This is just beautiful.

• 16 years ago

uh... evidently I wasn't too speechless. sorry about that double post.

I like your photo tutorial!

• 16 years ago

Beautiful work...much different than I thought you were going with her...you surprised me...she is lovely.what a great job you did all the way around...Love her!!!!

• 16 years ago

All I can say is ohhhh..that is turning out fanfreakintastic!!! I did not envision thaty style of skirt but it so looks right!! This is right up there with..well with all the stuff that has ever blown me away!!! Will definetly check in on that link you gave us to watch the progress!!!!

• 16 years ago

When you get this done you really need to send it to some of the beading sites like shipwreck beads or something. They would probably love to post a picture in there gallery!!!

• 16 years ago

YOU ARE AMAZING!!!! I just love the whole thing! Especially the added choker necklace and hair ribbon!!! And the bustle!!! WOW!! Just like NT, I'd just be re-peating myself if I said anymore!!! WOW!!!

• 16 years ago

Thank you all so much!

Believe me when I started this I did not see it going this way, but as slow said, it took on a mind of its own.

chickee
    Thank you! I'm not familiar with that site you mentioned.

Jane
    Awwww, thank you!

• 16 years ago

Just really a great big WOW!

• 16 years ago

hrsg, She is fantastic!!! I LOVE it when they take on a mind of their own and you have the courage to let it happen. This is when real works of art appear.

Great Job. I agree on sending her picture to a bead site for a gallery. She is lovely.

Chris

• 16 years ago

Wow, she's a beauty for sure!!

Maria

• 16 years ago

Thank you Chris and Maria!

Hope to get some work done on her today. Maybe even finish.

You ladies are so very encouraging, it is wonderful to have that. Thank you.

• 16 years ago

She's done, but she for sure is a doll in a gown. Maybe my next one will be a mosaic from start to finish.

The arms are not added because they don't fit properly. I would have to add to them with clay to make them look right. Anyway, not something I'll be doing today.

Here she is:

Thank you all so very much!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Complete worklog of photos

• 16 years ago

OHMYGOODNESS. Such elegance. Fantastic job. Just beautiful, HRSG.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH