SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nyrgirl35

grids inside the glass?

nyrgirl35
12 years ago

Im getting new windows. What do you thing about grids inside the glass? Do they look cheap? The grids on the outside of the windows I like much better but are too expensive.

Comments (38)

• steph2000
    12 years ago

I think it comes down to taste. I like the look but am only putting them on the front of the house, where the view isn't great anyway. We back up to a green belt and want unobstructed views out there. The panes/grids really do block the view.

The panes/grids are surprisingly more expensive, even when they are vinyl and inside the glass panes. I was surprised by the cost difference.

• Related Discussions

grids or no grids

Q

Comments (10)
    +1. I don't know of any specific trending per se. I like the less cluttered look myself and it is especially nice if you have a nice backyard or view. Some folks are going with grids in the top sash if they are looking for a different look (I guess bordering on prairie style). Whatever you do, I would go with the default pattern for the manufacturer in this case. They know what looks best in terms of a pattern in the windows.
    ...See More

4 grid front door or 6 grid front door with obscured glass

Q

Comments (5)
    Perhaps if you posted a picture of the front of your house, and the two doors that are under consideration, you would get some decent responses. Absent that, here's my choice:
    ...See More

Black windows-grid on exterior or between the glass?

Q

Comments (18)
    I have interior grids on all windows and doors (not my choice; Toll Brothers development) and the one positive is they are great for cleaning - much easier/quicker than exterior grids. Mine are white, so I'm not sure about the black hole thing. The problem was when I had to replace one slider because the seal broke. Of course I had to replace with the exact same grid (HOA) and of course that sliding glass door was no longer made and of course it was an odd sized 8 3/4' door. I had a heckuva time finding someone to do this "little" job and the price he charged for new glass and grids was excessive. With Andersen, you won't have the replacement issue I did, however.
    ...See More

Sliding glass door with millions/grids between glass problem?

Q

Comments (3)
    The vibrate I guess you can say. When I originally selected the door, I wanted one with built in blinds but was told with the amount of sun exposure we have, the gas filled ones would be better but I could not have the ones with built in blinds because they aren’t gas filled due to the movement of the blinds within them. The installed doors have mullions. Our previous door had them also, they never moved at all, and neither do the mullions in our windows. These ones do.
    ...See More
  • nyrgirl35
    Original Author
    12 years ago

well they wouldnt be blocking my view because its the side of my house and back. I would put them on for the inside look, my rooms are decorated traditional with drapes and I just feel like it would be a much nicer look. But just dont know about them being inside the glass if I will later regret it.

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

What about the wooden grids that are removable from the inside to clean the window? Does anyone still make them?

I agree with you that the grids on the outside look better, and panes or divided lites are more appropriate for a traditional house.

It depends upon the manufacturer. Some of the inside the window grids look ok and some do look cheap. The problem I find though is that if you don't keep the woodwork inside the house a generic white, they no longer match. Thats why I prefer the real thing or the inner removable grids.

It's a tough decision. Where I live, we are not allowed to have inside the glass grids, they must be outside the glass because it is a historic district, so the decision is made in my case.

• busybee3
    12 years ago

for paned windows, i much prefer the grids inside of the window- just for cleaning reasons... i haven't had grids on the outside of the windows as an adult, but i have had the interior grids which could be snapped out for cleaning and found them to be a pain...so half the time i tried to just clean the windows by wiping them with the wood in place which is terrible! i was afraid of snapping them when i took them out because they fit tight and the wood pieces themselves get dirty/dusty---if you have kids or large dogs they're a real pain!! i think they look fine, and they're what the majority of people in my area have---well worth any sacrifice in look(if there is any...) for the convenience imo!!!!

• ttodd
    12 years ago

I hate them and I think that Pal brings up an excellent point about painting. I'll take the extra cleaning of real panes anyday over the between the glass grids. I'm also probably one of the few people that finds cleaning windows pleasurable and relaxing though.

Flylady makes an awesome cloth that you can use to clean glass w/ just water and it is literally streak free and super fast. My mom showed them to me last weekend and I was amazed at how sparkley and F.A.S.T. thises things were and am getting some right away!!!!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Flylady Rags

• desertsteph
    12 years ago

don't like them at all. just replaced some windows - didn't get grids.

here I was told it was 35.00 more to get grids.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

We have them and I am indifferent to them. They are characterless but do make cleaning windows so much easier.

On a day by day basis, I don't notice them or feel they block the view much. I think having or not having grids period has to do with the style of the house and your decorating style. I have a traditional house and so chose the grids. As far as having them in front but not in back, an option we did have, I chose to have grids in all windows as most rooms are open to each other front and back and the main rooms, kitchen, dining and living are big rooms with the front and back all in the same room. I felt it would be discordant to only have the grids in the front.

Interesting that some people like the snap in grids on the outside. Those, at least the ones I have seen, are a look I particularly dislike, but maybe the windows were cheap.

• suzieque
    12 years ago

Hi - I've only posted to this site a couple of times because I have zero decorating talent and I read all of the lovely ideas here and try to learn from you.

But this post is timely because I have a window guy coming today to measure and discuss possibly replacing my windows. I'm so interested in the responses here!

I'm wondering if nyrgirl was asking about grids inside the glass as opposed to NO grids, or grids inside the glass as opposed to outside the glass. I read it as the latter but some responses seem to be answering grids vs no grids.

I will be choosing grids on the top of the double-hung windows but no grids on the bottom. With respect to grids inside the glass or out, I have been thinking inside the glass and didn't even think of the authentic look vs not authentic. Thank you for bringing that forth. Yes, inside the glass isn't authentic and now I'm afraid that, in my 150 year old house, they'll look out of place.

I will continue to watch the responses here and thank you for all of the info I've gleaned from this board.

Suzieque

• Sujafr
    12 years ago

I've had Andersen snap in interior grids in a prior home--definitely not cheap windows--and they were a pain to remove for cleaning. The window cleaners hated them and so did I later, even though I selected them, and they looked nice. They also popped out at times--particularly the French door ones or ones in high traffic areas. I'd never go that route again.

I selected 'in the glass' grids in this home and like the look and ease. IMHO they don't look cheap, just a different style, and I agree with Suzieque above that next time I'd just do the upper half in grids so as not to block the view as much, even though grids are minimal blockage. A lot depends on your style of decorating. If I were more of a contemporary decor person, I'd omit grids altogether.

• jan_in_wisconsin
    12 years ago

Hi there,

Our home is a traditional two-story, built four years ago. We have in-the-glass grids on the front windows only. They add detail and yet are easy to clean. I've had the snap-in variety in the past and would never do that again. We live in the country and have nice views all around, and we decided not to use any grids in the side or back windows, at the advice of our builder. He said they are quite busy looking when you have a lot of windows.

At the time we built, I was really concerned that I would regret the decision to have grids on the front windows only, but now I am SO glad we didn't get them in every window. It would have resulted in a lot of gridded views. I love looking out to the back acreage through gridless glass.

FWIW, we have Anderson windows, and the windows weren't cheap (with or without the grids). Our home has 24 double-hung windows, three patio doors, plus a glass front door. Ease of cleaning is a practical issue.

I agree that in terms of style, the grids are more traditional. While I love the authentic look of real grids outside the glass, it's just not worth the trouble. As another poster mentioned, in-the-glass grids look fine, and many homes have them.

I don't think there is necessarily a "right" or "wrong" way to go here. It's a matter of taste, practicality, and style. As long as you have all the information, you can make a decision that's right for you.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

Inside grids do come with different styles, some beveled, plain, ridged, etc. and the fancier ones to me look best although, of course, they cost more.

• itltrot
    12 years ago

It depends on the house the person and the windows. I have grids in the street facing windows but don't love them. I only had them put in because they were all arched windows and the half round at the top looked odd without grids.

As far as inside or outside, once you've cleaned your new windows and don't have to stress about cleaning around each divided lite it makes up for any dislike. IMO.

And different window companies offer different options. The ones my office sells have the option of vinyl windows with different colors inside and out. There are wood grain looks for those that don't want white or beige windows. The grids are also available in two tone. TONS of different options out there. If you don't find what you want from the first window company, shop around.

And like bumblebee said they do have different shapes in the grids. Be sure you that you get an option.

Whatever you choose make sure you are getting Low E/Argon gas between the glass for them to be energy efficient. And I believe the current ratings of UV and solar heat gain must be below .30 to qualify for the Tax Credit available.

• biochem101
    12 years ago

Wow. I've been debating this issue with myself for years. I've lived mostly in houses with wood grids and tiny panes (two Victorians, and one 200-yr-old farmhouse), plus the house we're in now. Interesting to see people talking about the 'view' because that particular never occurred to me! Doesn't every view have grids? ;)

Current home is only a 43-year old colonial, but it's all wood windows with wood grids all around. The problem is the springs inside are broken on some. They are difficult to lift, some need a stick to hold them open, and they are extremely time consuming to wash. In addition to the wood sashes, there are also aluminum storm windows on the outside. All 4 have to be washed inside and out.

One can't get rid of the storm windows without getting new windows. But new all-wood windows in the same style are hideously expensive. The ones with in-glass dividers are much less expensive, but I'm not sure how I feel about the look??? That's my dilemma.

I also keep wondering if when we sell, how buyers will react? Will seeing such old windows scare everyone away? Do people want all new windows? Thinking about doing the ad [someday] as: All Original Woodwork and Wood Windows! If I pretend they are an asset will it work? :D

• dedtired
    12 years ago

Biochem, I think you live in my house! I have the same situation. I have replaced some windows during renovations, but have a lot of old wood windows with triple track storm windows left. They are drafty and very high maintenance, as well as difficult to open.

On my street people have both grids and no grids. I don't like the look of no grids. They look so plain. The window just kind of looks like a hole. I think grids outside the glass look best but are such a nuisance to clean. The houses on my street are colonials and the grids seem to go best with the architecture.

I have grids inside the windows and I love the ease of cleaning them, especially the ones that drop open inside to be cleaned. Maybe if I had breath-taking views I wouldn't want grids, but I don't.

I got a new back door with grids outside and I could kick myself every time I look at it or have to clean it.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

We're out in the country so only use WT's for decoration and most of our windows are bare. I think they look like black holes at night too- from inside the house, and the grids help make them look more inviting.

• Georgysmom
    12 years ago

We are going through the process of replacing windows right now. I've opted for the grids inside the glass. The stationary grids outside are a real pane to clean the windows and the snap ins are a real pain to remove and replace. I've had the top of the line Anderson and they were the worst. I had Pella with the grids between the glass and they were the best. However, we just got estimates and Pella windows are more than twice the cost and at this stage of my life, I don't think it's worth it. Do look for a grid that is beveled, it gives a more three D look to it than the flat grid. One of the reasons I'm going with the between the window grid is because we have a two-story family room and the outside grids get dusty. It's very difficult to clean the upper window grids on a regular basis.

• nyrgirl35
    Original Author
    12 years ago

ok thanks for all the advice here. My choice was basically no grids or grids in the glass, because the grids on top of the glass are almost $200 more per window and not removable (I dont want to be cleaning little squares of window). Although Thats the look I prefer the grids that are on top of the glass, too much money for me and a pain to clean. I would only be putting them on 3 of the windows in my house (the grids between the glass) my LV and DR. You will not see these windows from outside my house because these rooms are on the side of my house and the back. I live in NY so my house is close to others, so you wont see these windows from the outside. So this decision is purely for the style of the inside of my house which is traditional and just feel like a window without them will be blah. But yet afraid of the in between the glass looking tacky and cheap??? They will be high end vinyl double hung windows 46x46 a wide square window. which is something else im worried about a square double hung and how many grids to put in?

• natal
    12 years ago

Our 1950s cottage has wood windows with true muntins. We also added aluminum storm windows years ago which means cleaning the outside is a major production. That's why it doesn't get done as often as I'd like.

In the addition we recycled two of the original double-hung wood windows for the bath and laundry room and installed single pane Marvin casements and French casements in the kitchen and keeping room. I LOVE how easy it is to clean them and don't miss the muntins at all!

• biochem101
    12 years ago

Hmmm....maybe some day when I'm done doing everything else I can to this house, and have money left over......

I'll replace them all with between the glass grids with a bevel.

And the ease of cleaning will out weigh the look!

(at least that's my take away message) ;)

• natal
    12 years ago

Biochem, forget the between-the-glass grids. Once you've had wood I don't think you'd be happy with a pseudo version. You'll learn to love a single pane. At least I did.

• pfmastin
    12 years ago

Just another two cents worth....
    When we replaced our windows I looked at styles with and without the grids. I found our windows looked like "black holes" without the grids. I did leave out the grids on my two kitchen windows so I'd have an obstructed view of the backyard. We replaced storm windows at the time and it is such a blessing to be able to quickly wash windows with no grids on the room side of the windows.

• gsciencechick
    12 years ago

We have grids (and blinds) between the glass in our french doors and really like them.

• User
    12 years ago

Between the glass, definitely. Right now we only have the wooden ones on the front windows in the older part of the house because so many have broken that we only have enough for the front. On our addition, we have between the glass and they look so much better and are so easy to maintain. And yes, the windows on the back look empty to me because they don't have grids, although the cats' nose prints add some interest (but not in a good way ;))

• awm03
    12 years ago

Well, I say if you're only doing 3 windows, then pay up & get the grids. You'll be much happier with the authentic look.

We got windows with muntins (grids) on both of the window sides. Marvin makes that option, and I'm sure other brands do too. This design mimics true divided light windows really well and is less expensive than true divided lights. It's a good compromise between looks and costs.

Are you getting double hung windows? Most companies make double hungs that tilt in or remove for cleaning. That makes the job a lot easier even with the grids.

Could you get by with 2 panes over 2 panes instead of the colonial 6 over 6 or 9 over 9? Or 6 panes over a plain bottom window? You didn't say what style of home you have. Maybe no muntins or fewer muntins is appropriate for your home's style.

• User
    12 years ago

We have true simulated divided lights, 4 over 1, I don't care for the between the glass grids, they look cheap and lifeless to me, especially in an historic home. The cleaning doesn't bother me cuz we clean our windows twice a year, spring and fall. If it adds a couple of hours to a twice a year chore, I don't see that as a maintenance time sink.

sandyponder

• nyrgirl35
    Original Author
    12 years ago

awm03 I will be getting double hung windows that meas. 46x46 I know not the usual for DH being thats its a wider square shape. I was going to do the grids on the top and bottom window but not sure how many. Keep in mind the style for the windows has to do with the inside of my house which is traditional, the outside of my house doesnt come into play because you wont see these windows from the outside the way my house is positioned.
    So the reason for the grids is to enhance my traditional decor from inside. If it helps I have dark wood furniture and style in these rooms is a traditional /old word feel. I plan on have the windows and sliding patio doors in white with white trim. Any other advice is appreciated, especially with how may grids? also you are probably right since its only 3 windows just pay the extra to know im happy. The windows will tilt in too clean outside but how much of a pain is it too clean between each square on the inside?

• awm03
    12 years ago

Microfiber cloths make cleaning easier than it used to be. But I'm like TTodd -- I don't mind cleaning windows. Windows are the best feature of our house.

• tfm1134
    12 years ago

I'm like bumblebeez and don't even notice them at all on my windows so I guess it is a personal decision. I have some great views and don't think they block them

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Sandy, what is "true simulated"?

• steph2000
    12 years ago

This is actually interesting timing for this thread. I am in the process of having my house re-sided and new windows/doors put in. I ordered the grids between the glass on the front windows, but they got the order wrong and they came without. In order to keep the project moving, the GC installed the plain windows and ordered new ones wtih the grids.

Last Thursday night, the windows were replaced. My neighbors - even those who are anti-grids - all have made a point to tell me how much more finished the house looks with the new windows. One person commented that the windows looked like black holes before the grid and now the windows look balanced with the siding. (See pfmastin's comment above) I've had strangers stop to do the same.

From the inside, I really like the windows so much more. The view out the front is not gorgeous, but now when I look at my windows, I have that fuzzy new windows feeling I just didn't get with the plain windows.

Granted, true wooden mullioned windows have a ton more character. They also are not a smart upgrade in my neighborhood and would likely have tripled to quadrupled my window budget. They are also hard to clean.

I took pictures of the front of the house with the first version of the windows. Maybe just for fun, I'll take some new ones and post here so folks can see the difference if folks are interested.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Definitely interested in seeing those pics, Steph!

• liriodendron
    12 years ago

Strong dislike for imitation muntins (what is being referred to here as "grids") no matter where they are placed: inside, outside, or in-between. (Right up there with my other pet peeve: shutters placed outside the window frames. And screwed down to the surface of the siding.)

Muntins' function is not decorative it is to support the glass panes within the frame. If they aren't doing that, then they shouldn't be there. They always look fake, whereas a simple pane of glass without them looks just fine.

If your windows look like "black holes" consider changing the proportions of the openings, or painting the trim and/or rails and stiles a different color than white or cream.

Or get windows with muntins, even two over twos if you think is there too much maintenance involved. (There isn't: I have some nine over sixes, and the smaller panes are much easier to get clean, and don't make small smudges so obvious.)

Sorry to seem so crumudgeonly about this, but this is one area where everybody has "real windows", i.e. with some kind of framing and for some reason people feel the need to to take real and add fakery.

L

• awm03
    12 years ago

Because I'm feeling pedantic and curmudgeonly today:

"Muntins are often confused with "mullions" (which separate complete window units).... Many companies use the term "grille" when referring to a decorative structure of wood or other material that is put over a single pane of glass to make it look as if there were muntins separating multiple panes of glass...." (Wikipedia "Muntins")

Here is an example of three windows mulled together. Each window has muntins to divide six panes; two mullions separate the windows:

And here's a close up of a simulated divided light window, which is what we have and Do Not Look Fake. You have get right up to them to notice the middle divider:

Below is a link to a good article on simulated divided lights vs. true divided lights & the cost difference:

Here is a link that might be useful: Chicago Trib article

• awm03
    12 years ago

Here are our simulated divided lights:

Inside:

Outside:

• cheerpeople
    12 years ago

Just bought a patio Marvin door with interior grids. Matches the other door.
    The grids don't bother me looking out , and when looking at the exterior of the home, give it a sense of unified style, as it already has them elsewhere.
    I guess once you commit to it on a side you should prepare to continue with it in future window replacements so the side of the house is unified from the exterior view.

• spammypam
    12 years ago

In an ideal world, our nine over six windows would not be peeling and broken and would not need storms. Oh, and I would also be able to afford to have someone wash them for me twice a year and I would not care about the heating bill! We placed an order three weeks ago to replace all of our 24 windows with vinyl replacements with the inside grids(six over six). Can't wait to have them in.

• Mia Smyth
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

The only reason I changed my mind about putting window grids or Muntins inside the glass is that I may want to paint them another color in the future. I am also concerned the style of grids I was choosing (Vertical) may become dated.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022