SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cacbeary

Beetle Bits System

16 years ago

I got the Beetle Bits system for Christmas and I'm trying it out. It's very fun & easy.

But I'm so mad I could spit. I guess more at myself. It has a mosaic sheet with directions on how to make a sheet of squares. It says to make your lines on one side, turn the glass over & 90 degrees & make all your cuts again. It makes sense so as to save your cutting wheel not going over the same cuts.

So my first project, I'm making mirror squares. I cut on both sides like it said. But when it came time to breaking, the lines on the shiney side break up perfect but when I go to the other side of the mirror glass it doesn't break right at all. I should have cut the whole thing on the shiney side.

I never worked with mirror before & I could kick myself for not doing a small test piece first. Now the only way to break into squares is with the wheeled nippers & there goes the perfect cuts. Grrrrrrrrr!

And what's weird is where I buy my glass at the stained glass store, the price tag is on the side that you don't make the cuts on & it's on the shiney side. I am so disappointed in my glass cuts. Oh well - I have a couple of more sheets to cut.

So for all the pros out there, I just make my cuts on the shiney side of the mirror tiles?

What do I seal them with too please. Can I just spray the backs with clear acrylic paint? The project is a ceramic shoe that is a planter - red mirror squares.

Comments (23)

Sponsored