SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
randita_gw

What to do with this ugh 70's half wall paneling?

randita
15 years ago

I can't decide what to do with this awful paneling (pictures below). This is located at the end of a long, narrow room, half of which is a den with fireplace and the other half pictured includes no less than 5 doors, so breaking up the paneling with furniture is not possible.

We've lived here for 25 years and I've never been able to decide what to do with it. We are selling this house and the realtor, who has an eye for staging, said it looks dated (agreed) and suggested removing it or painting it. It's glued on, so removing it would be a horrible undertaking.

The walls are now off-white and will be changed to a warm neutral beige (SW Sand Dollar which will blend well with the brick fireplace-not pictured). Furniture lines the walls of the den area, so the ugh paneling is not very obvious. Ignore the flooring. It will be replaced with either a Berber neutral carpeting or neutral tile.

I'm considering painting the paneling white to match the doors and trim, but with 5 white doors and a white bookcase, DH thinks that will be too much white, even with beige on the walls above the paneling. Should I go with a darker shade on the bottom to match the Sand Dollar? If so, should I create a chair rail effect by painting the molding at the top of the paneling and the baseboards white? Should I paint the paneling the same color as the walls so it blends in better and the space doesn't look so chopped up?

I'm stuck - ideas? What would appeal to the largest pool of potential buyers and unify the space so it doesn't look so utilitarian? Thanks a lot!

Pictures - left to right in the space.

Bookshelf (behind the bookshelf is the powder room with a white door which you can't see):

{{!gwi}}

Double laundry closet doors - to the right of the bookshelf and at the back end of the room):

{{!gwi}}

To the right of the laundry closet doors - door to back porch with glass panes and door to the garage to the right of it.

{{!gwi}}

Comments (13)