SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nassau_gw

Andersen 200 Series Window Leak

nassau
14 years ago

One of my Andersen 200 Series double-hung windows leaked during the heavy rain associated with tropical storm Ida in early November. This was a wind-driven rain of over 5" that pummeled the window from the Northeast for over a 2 days. The carpet was soaked with water under the window. There was no evidence of leaking around the window sash, sill or down the wall below the window. It appears that the water came through the interior of the wall and worked down to the subfloor which the wall sits on. The local dealer sent someone out to look and said the window appears to be sufficiently tight between the sash and jam and there was no obvious installation issue. I was able to duplicate the leak by holding a garden hose on the lower sash of the window for about 10 minutes. Since this is a leak inside the wall, I don't know if it has been leaking slightly for the past five years and I didn't detect it. I also don't know if the other windows are leaking and water is getting into the wall cavities elsewhere.

I have contacted Andersen and they say that there was a manufacturing change after my windows were manufactured in March 2003. There is a modification kit that they are going to install in the window that leaked without charge, but not the other windows unless I pay for the kit installation. Now they haven't actually looked at the windows or admitted that the leak is due to a defect in design or manufacturing, and I don't know if this will fix the problem. But it is a start.

Has anyone heard of this problem with the 200 Series double-hung windows? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments (14)