SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ttodd_gw

What's On Your Bedside Table & Walls?

ttodd
15 years ago

I'm especially looking for examples of things hanging on walls around a bedside table. I'm kind of stumped. I'd love to hang some of my pic's but how do you do that w/o the bedside light blocking them? Do you off-center something?

Does anyone have any examples of what you've hung and how, or inspiration examples that you have tucked away in your archives of pics that you could share?

I'm surrounded by lots of pics on my bed & floor & lots of bare walls in my rm.

Comments (44)

• teacats
    15 years ago

Well -- here's mine! Swing-arm lamps; faux flowers in a small pot; wedding photo (sheesh!); couple of small statues that I love (and lots of books piled below) LOL!

• mldao
    15 years ago

This is what I have on my walls. My bed sits in between two large windows. I have a lamp, wire basket, clock and flowers on my bedside table. DH has lamp, clock, wedding picture and small bowl on his nightstand. The chaise is on my side of the room. We have a huge built-in that faces the bed and I have a lot of family photos on those shelves. Hope this helps.

{{!gwi}}

• Related Discussions

Bedside tables in small BR

Q

Comments (30)
    Lynndale, thanks for sharing your idea! I was wondering about the possibility of doing that. I hadn't brought it up yet because he's very self-conscious about the machine-- he needs it and it makes a huge difference in his sleep-- but still he's funny about it. Also, he's more about function than look.. so I didnt want to bring him into my search! ;) I have been keeping an eye out for something more like a cabinet but I haven't yet found an antique or nice wood piece with doors that fits the space. I have seen plenty that I could paint (like the nightstands in the original post) but that isnt the look I was going for. I guess I need to decide what is most important to me.. maintaining the look.. or hiding the machine.
    ...See More

Please show me your bedside sconces

Q

Comments (18)
    Beverly thank you so much for the lovely examples. I actually replaced my beloved mirror with two matching mirrors. The idea of tucking the sconces inside the posts was a grand one. Thank you for that. As much as I liked the sconces I felt that there wasn't enough room for them so I went with regular table lamps. RRS & Mtn, thank you for posting your sconces. I still love the idea of them even though I didn't feel they worked for me size wise. I love the pulley idea as it greatly enhances the adjustability factor. Anele, I ordered the ceiling light for my bedroom and UPS updated me with the delivery date. It is to arrive on Monday. I hope my DH will be able to install it so I don't have to hire an electrician.
    ...See More

What height lamps for bedside tables/night tables?

Q

Comments (4)
    "What size lamps are standard for bedside table &/or night tables? " There is no "standard". Lamp height would depend on the height of your bed, the height of your tables, and what you need the lamps for.
    ...See More

Mirrors over bedside tables?

Q

Comments (122)
    Nice! Wow, you work fast! When you said crystal that's not what I thought you meant, it looks great. Also, just a thought but you know what might be able to give the table a more cohesive look is to find a pretty round place mat to set under the items. I do it all the time and it really helps give it a more finished look (to my eye) anyways. You could go with a beaded one, woven, sparkly or plain, any kind would work. Bed bath and beyond - just plain in different colors, ivory or plum would be pretty Found these on Macy's site, comes in several colors And Pier 1 had some glittery ones I've used a woven one here
    ...See More
  • Sueb20
    15 years ago

Sorry I don't have a pic, but I think I can describe what I did with my nightstand. My lamp was not centered, but I had a small picture over the nightstand and IT was centered. It worked better for me to have the lamp off-center anyway, closer to my head.

• nanny2a
    15 years ago

We try to keep ours clear of clutter, but there's usually a stack of books on both our bedside tables. I went to the library today, though, and returned our cache, so the tables look pretty neat....

Having wall hung reading lights keeps our tables clean of lamps.

Heidi

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    15 years ago

Right behind the cloth covered round table that I have on one side of the bed is an old print, and an antique bamboo framed mirror. My phone, antique lamp, and a 'leather book' that I use to hold tissues complete that side. Not shown are two framed British bird prints on the wall beside the bed.

The other side has an antique oval table, a similar antique lamp, and a hand-painted small bowl in a stand. That side of the bed also has a framed bird print on the wall.

• lynninnewmexico
    15 years ago

I have windows on either side of our bed, so wall decor is kind of minimal in those areas. Because of this, the focus is more on the lamps and what's on the bedside tables (although DH's is never very "magazine ready" ;^P). This long antique table is perfect for me because it holds lots of books, my cup of tea, controller for the lights, phone, mags, etc. This was taken right after I first bought the magazine rack. It's now filled.
    {{!gwi}}

This is DH's side of the bed. His holds the alarm clock, book, phone and a memo pad and lighted pen for the inevitable middle-of-the-night patient phone calls. First drawer is crammed with phone books and lists of phone #'s for every pharmacy within 50 miles, mini flash light,more pens and paper,etc.
    {{gwi:1499187}}

It's kind of funny, but as much as I love art, I prefer a simple cross over our bed. This was taken from our MBR foyer.
    {{!gwi}}

• ttodd
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Such pretty rooms!

Lynne - If I ever move to New Mexico, your home is always what I imagined I'd have! We honeymooned in Angel Fire and I've always dreamed (but likely wouldn't unless - I'd be too homesick) of moving to NM.

I'm having a real problem choosing which lamps to use for our bedside tables but after looking at all of your photos I think maybe swing arm lamps might be best. Our bed is in front of the window (only place for it) and there just seems to be so much wall elsewhere. I will take a pic this afternoon to show you what's going on and get some of your input.

• ttodd
    Original Author
    15 years ago

So yes, for those of you w/ excellent memories left (mine was shot many yrs. ago) this is the same green bedroom that so many people liked. I, however much I adored it, needed to find a happy 'emotional' balance as color affects me so. I needed to find a happy balance between warm (because I get so overwhelmed & begin to feel weighed down upon w/ warm colors) and cool (of which I start to feel cold & empty inside).

This grey brown seems to have struck the right balance between warm & cool & is still filled w/ color. But more of that later once I finish w/ the bedroom. I still have curtain rods to buy & trim to finish painting a creamy white. I have deep mink colored bedding ordered for Fall. I'm waiting for one more blue sham to go up for auction on e-bay to complete my summer bedding set that you see here.

Here is my bedside table w/ 2 lamps that I have, although I must admit that the idea of the swing arm lamps is so very appealing to me! I'd get new shades if I used the crystal ones. Which ones do you like best?

Overall I'm pleased w/ what's actually on the table, it's all of the wall space that I'm wondering about.

Do you think that they look bare and that I should put something up? Or should I just leave them as is?

{{!gwi}}

Or

{{!gwi}}

• cran
    15 years ago

Wow! What pretty b.rooms. here's mine taken a while back...you'd think I clear off the bed before shooting pic!

• miles661
    15 years ago

We just don't have room for large tables/chests much less "stuff" on them. A book, an alarm clock and that is it.

{{!gwi}}

• mldao
    15 years ago

What is on the other side of the bed? Are you able to take a picture of the entire room or a majority of it? It would help if we're able to see the room as a whole. BTW Your bedroom has a very peaceful and serene feel to it. Lovely!!

• nanny2a
    15 years ago

In answer to your question about the lamps that you already have, I would vote for the one with the crystal base. I love them both, but because of that lovely chandy you have, the crystal seems to tie in better. You might want to remember that if you decide to select something with a swing arm.

Heidi

• hoosiergirl
    15 years ago

My vote is for the crystal lamp (w/new shade as you said). Very pretty room!

• annzgw
    15 years ago

I think you need some artwork. It wouldn't have to hang behind the lamps but one piece could be on the wall to the right of the crystal lamp. Don't know what the rest of the room looks like!
    Don't worry about the lamp in front of the artwork.......it'll look fine.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• organic_smallhome
    15 years ago

These are ALL beautiful rooms.

nanny: I adore yellow, and would love to see a larger shot of your room.

annz: Very elegant.

my3dogs: Ever since seeing a pic of your room, I've been looking for a bouillotte lamp! And boy are they ever expensive!

• patricianat
    15 years ago

Beautiful bedrooms, lots of people with good taste here. I agree with Annz, not all art has to show completely, a bit of mystery and surprise lend a mystique that makes your surroundings more inviting and intriguing.

• athomewith3
    15 years ago

WE have two candle sconces on either side of the bed, pics of our 3 kids (aaron brothers was out of the frames i wanted so i am still waiting on that) and on our bed side table we just have a clock, phone and lamp (not able to see but to the right of the pic).

{{!gwi}}

• natesgramma
    15 years ago

Plant, lamp, books, and a sleeping cat on branch.

• ftell001
    15 years ago

I loved this thread! I'm looking for a king size bed set and the beds shown here were awesome. Love the sleigh bed..and to AthomeWith3...Your bed is something like I was interested in. Do you mind sharing the brand of bed and if you are happy with it?
    Thanks!

• ttodd
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes, I agree! I am really enjoying this thread and seeing your wonderful rms.! How often do you see a yellow bedroom? And it's so gorgeous!

Every single one is beautiful and livable - you should all feel so lucky.

Mldao, I will get a pic of the other side of the bed this afternoon. I put out both crystal based lamps last night & am hoping to get to Restoration Hardware soon to look at one of their Flax lamp shades.

I'm also going to try my Paris prints on my side today. If that works maybe my foggy night London Bridge pic will work on DH's side.

My3dogs, could it be any more cozy and perfect?! That lamp is fantastic!

PS: Mldao the flowers look so pretty. I love flowers on my bedside table.

Ooohhhhh - and could we just see a pic of that sweet little dog sleeping on your table? How often does something on your bedside table love you back?!

• athomewith3
    15 years ago

ftell001, i just purchased our bedroom set last October and it is from Bassett Furniture. It is the Louis Phillipe collection and i love it. Here is a link. You can browse through all their different styles.

http://www.bassettfurniture.com/store/productDetailForm.asp?maxItems=28&imgid=220&Seq=14&stype=&mc=1&CatID=500&ItemId=120&SubItemId=-1&ColId=-1

• otis_proamateur
    15 years ago

Great post! I could use some ideas myself.

mldao, that chair just calls to me. What a great reading space!

• ttodd
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Okee Dokee, got some pics hung up while the kids were watching the Diego movie this morning. Let me know what you think. I like the stuffy old library look (w/o the heavy dark feeling) & tons of pics sing to me so that's what I tried to accomplish. I staged our bedside tables. I'm almost liking the color of the shades that came w/ the lamps now but I'd like to hear what you think of them. Keep them or get new ones?

Threw in a couple of extra pics since as requested.

DH's side:

{{!gwi}}

My side:

{{!gwi}}
    {{gwi:1533628}}

Both sides:

{{gwi:1533631}}

I choose a warm off-white for trim to balance out the grey & go w/ the dark doors (still deciding on ceiling color). Still have to paint window trim:

Alcove w/ 1/2 painted bureau that's become my catch-all. DS2 took 2 paintbrushes to it last night. I need to work on the stripes some more & then antique it before putting the black glass knobs on.

{{gwi:1533632}}

• jkinpv
    15 years ago

I'm impressed to see so many clutter-free nightstands. Between the alarm clock, the box of kleenex and the stack of magazines, our bedside tables will never ever be posted on this forum! Ha!

• walkin_yesindeed
    15 years ago

Ttodd, what a sophisticated, beautiful, restful room. What's that gorgeous grey-brown, please?

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    15 years ago

This is our master bedroom.

Bedside table on the other side

And the most important bedside item:

• nanny2a
    15 years ago

"I'm impressed to see so many clutter-free nightstands"

Lol, I think there were several of us busy cleaning off all the clutter we accumulate beside the bed before we got out our camera's.....I know I was!! Fortunately, I have a little cupboard beneath my nightstand that I can hide my insulin, glucometer and other medicines that normally resides there!

Heidi

• ttodd
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Walkin,

The main color is SW Requisite Gray & the alcove is 2 shades darker called SW Backdrop.

I got the idea while looking through an old issue of Country Home and seeing their 2008 House of the Year where they used Requisite Gray in the bathroom & study. They used the next darker gray in the MBR for the trim and in the LR they used SW White Hyacinth which is what I used for our MBR trim. SW Top Sail was used in the 2008 house for the ceiling which is also what I have but I'm not sure if I am going to use that in our MBR. I typically prefer colored ceilings w/ white or off-white walls.

The darker you go on the Requisite Gray strip the browner the color becomes.

• funkyart
    15 years ago

I LOVE the requisite gray-- I really really do and with the hydrangeas it gave me such a calm, easy, floral scented rainy afternoon kind of feel. Well, your first photos did.. I found the second batch with the photographs and prints too busy. How does it feel to you? I can see that maybe since they are all people and places you love that maybe it is perfect for you. My preference would be one photo per side..or maybe two small ones.

I am getting used to the alcove. It is lovely-- but I loved it so much before that I am a little sad to see it change. But it is lovely-- just as the rest of your home is lovely.

• mldao
    15 years ago

Thanks for posting the new pictures. I love your B/W photos. Your wedding photo is just beautiful. I'm wondering if I can have mine changed to B/W. Another to do on my already long list.

I love being surrounded with pictures of my loved ones but I think what you have going on is too busy. Since you have the same lamp on both nightstands, which is symmetrical, I would do the same with the photos above them. Do you have two similar in size photos that are both either horizontal or vertical? I think it would be more pleasing to the eye aesthetically. You could try arranging a collage on the wall to the right of your nightstand. Take painters tape and make either a rectangle or triangle on the wall and place your pictures in it. Play around with different shapes but try to keep it from looking cluttered. You have a beautiful room and I love what you've done so far. I see you have hydrangeas on your nightstand (one of my favorite flowers). I've never had any success growing them and I absolutely love them.

• ttodd
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Black and white photography is one of my passions and I am rarely w/o a camera. And if I am w/o one then at least 2 other people in my family will always have one snapping away so I have tons of pictures and I just love being surrounded by them. On the side wall I'm actually going to build out towards the corner and see how that goes.

Nothing pleases me more than looking up and seeing a photo and having an instant memory. If I weren't planning on moving (of course I know many of my photos will nd. to come down prior) I'd find a wall (in the right spot) and run photos floor to ceiling and wall to wall just like we do our books. It'd be a tiny rm. secreted away around a corner that most people who didn't know the house couldn't see. Maybe you'd be able to catch a glimpse of it around a corner to pique your interest. I'd stack them, I'd layer them I'd pile them up! Just like you find all of our books. On a dreary rainy or blizzardy(?) day (my favorite kind) I'd snuggle up in a cozy chair w/ my feet tucked under me and a thick woolen blanket over me w/ a cup of hot tea or cocoa and between the pages of a good book look up at my pictures and smile. Oh to dream!

Hydrangeas and roses are also something I adore and grow en masse. But the hydrangeas are far easier. As the blues and purples age the colors are so stunning and inspirational! Something else I couldn't live w/o!

• mldao
    15 years ago

ttodd: I think we were twins seperated at birth. I love getting lost in a good book and I also love having pictures of my loved ones all through my house. My bookcases are overflowing and I have books stashed all over my house. I did manage to go through the books in my garage and donate those to the local retirement home. I hired someone to stage my home and she took down quite a few family photos I had up. I missed my photos so much I ended up re-hanging them.

What state do you live in? I'm in southern California and my hydrangeas look pitiful. My SIL lives in Georgia and sends me pictures of hers and I just drool. I know it has to be me because I've seen beautiful hydrangeas out here just not in my yard. Is there a secret? Do you feed them? Do they get a lot of sunlight?

• patricianat
    15 years ago

Mldao, hydrangeas are water-lovers by their very nature and they like filtered sunlight to dappled shade. You feed them after they bloom, not after Labor Day and do not cut them back after Labor Day as you are cutting next year's bloom. Depending on what you feed them will tend to give them a pink or blue color, depending on what kind they are. I am not TTodd, but I played a gardener once in a few organizations.

• teacats
    15 years ago

ttodd -- LOVE LOVE LOVE your calm cozy wonderful bedroom -- and all of the gorgeous black-and-white photo artworks!

Jan

• newdawn1895
    15 years ago

Everyone has such a neat room, this should be a change. lol I should of picked up before taking the picture.
    Actually I don't have that many photo's in this room and you can't see my bedside table. But I have a lamp, clock, phone and a picture of myself. lol

On the wall I have my grandfather's hat, he wore most of his life everyday. He died forty years ago and I loved him so.

A sketch of my dad my sister did years ago and a mirror.

Please excuse my messy computer table. I should of picked up. But...

Teacats I am going to steal those gorgeous paintings. Whats your address again. ha! ha!

Here is a link that might be useful:

• newdawn1895
    15 years ago

It would help if I put a picture on, huh?

• newdawn1895
    15 years ago

Gosh let me try again

• newdawn1895
    15 years ago

I'll try later, good grief.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• ttodd
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes the south is known for their mopheads! I responded to your other thread re: hydrangeas.

I'm zone 6B and I have a few micro climates that are probably about zone 7 so I can get away w/ growing some types of roses that typically don't do too well in our climate.

My back hedge of Nikko blue hydrangea was in a lightly shaded area until my giant Blue Atlas Cedar came down this past Fall. Now my Nikkos's are in blazing sunlight. I have a heavy clay soil and I only water them occasionally when I see that they are getting very, very droopy typically in a heatwave. Then I'll get out the soaker hose and put it on for a few hrs. a day a few days in a row. I don't feed them but I do heavily amend the soil w/ iron to get a bluer shade. Our soil is very, very rich as I understand the original owner was a die-hard gardener. Since the cedar came down there isn't a bed of needles around the base of the hydrangea anymore & that used to help me get a better shade of blue. This yr. though one suffered an iron deficiency that was pretty easy for me to correct. Other than that I'm pretty much hands off w/ my hydrangea. This yr. some of them really took off size wise all of a sudden and I thought that it wasn't going to be a good yr. for them but my Nikko's are still flowering better than my 2 different versions of everblooming hydrangeas that are in my side beds. The Nikko blue row is at least 7yrs old but I plant at least 2 new hydrangea somewhere every yr.

My in-laws just gave me an oak leaf hydrangea for my birthday last night for my white garden. I've never planted an oak leaf before so I'm looking forward to that. I'll have a bank of those surrounding the bistro area of our patio.

• newdawn1895
    15 years ago

I'll try it one more time.

• newdawn1895
    15 years ago

{{!gwi}}

• patricianat
    15 years ago

New Dawn. you have an amazingly beautiful bedroom, equally as pretty as your lovely kitchen. I would like to see pictures of your whole house. But don't do it tonight, wait until the weekend when I will have time to ogle. :)

• ttodd
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you Teacats! Don't you have a wall of portraits and prints? Some including dogs? I've always loved that wall!

Newdawn,

Ummmm - WOW!