SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sweets98

Any idea what is on this?

sweets98
17 years ago

We bought a table about 5 years ago now at Ames before they closed. It's a pine table with honey pine finish. The table is small itself but we also have a small bench and then a large L shaped bench for in the corner.

Whatever they used to seal the table did not hold up long. I think maybe within a few months, the table top was looking dull. I have hated it ever since then! I mean, I love the design of the table, just hate the finish.

I got the brainy idea to tile the table top about two years ago. I measured everything out and got to work but when I was finished, the tile was not lined up as planned. Some tiles started to lift within months and again..I hated my table. So I ended up removing the tile, sanding for hours and trying to apply stain and ended up with the wrong color of stain so I stopped.

For the last two years, I have been covering the table with a table cloth so we don't have to look at the mess and I'm just tired of it! I tried to use strippers (two kinds because I'm not sure what is on it) to remove all the finish so that I can totally refinish the whole table in a different color (the honey pine really isn't a fav of mine) with no success. I have also used oven cleaner to strip furniture in the past and again, no luck here. It seems the only thing I can do is drag the table outside and sand for days but I can't do that now that cold weather is here and I didn't have time to do it this summer (Too many other projects). We don't have a garage or basement where I can work either. Is there anything I can do to strip it without having my house filled with dust?

I am thinking about using PolyShades because I do want to go darker. I know a lot of people complain about PolyShades but I have used it in the past and the project turned out really nice. I think the key is to realize it's not like regular stain so the finished look won't look the same.

Any advice? I think I'm going to go insane if I have to look at this mess another winter. Being cooped up inside really gets me thinking about the inside and I'll go insane with this table by spring. I've left it go too long now!

Comments (3)