SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
justnotmartha

Justnotmartha

justnotmartha
16 years ago

I have a SD12, a DS6 and a DS3. My husband was granted emergency custody of his daughter just after she turned 5, and full legal/physical custody after a year of evaluators, counselors and attorneys. DH and I both have full time careers. We are both very involved with our kid's activities and lives.

Bio-mom has EOW visitation as well as half of holidays. She exercises her visitation, but is only involved in her daughter's life to the extent that it is convenient or makes her feel/look good. Bio-mom in the last 1.5 years met a man online, moved him in, married him, bought a new house with him and had a baby . . . but can't figure out why that frightens her daughter. Her past relationship, which resulted in the emergency custody, was with a convicted felon she moved in after a month and then placed multiple restraining orders against.

SD and I have a very close relationship - she calls me mom and sometimes refers to me as her "real mom." She does attempt to play her "moms" against each other, but much more so with her bio-mom than I. I believe she has found she can use this an a tool to entice more involvement from her mom.

As bio-mom opts not to be involved and SD does not find consistency with her I am the one who is friends with her friend's parents, coaches cheer leading, hands out the advice, hugs, etc. and handles the majority of the maternal duties.

The biggest hardship I have with our blended family is my need to "fix" things. I want to help bio-mom see how her actions and words hurt her daughter. I want to "fix" their relationship so that they can enjoy what SD and I have. I believe bio-mom wants that, but just can't get past herself to put forth the effort. I see as SD is getting older her blinders are falling away and she is seeing more and more in her mom she doesn't like, and that saddens me. My mom is my best friend . . . I want that for all mom/daughters. More than anything I would like for bio-mom and I to be able to get along and have all 4 parents involved work together in the child's best interests.

My favorite food is pasta, drink is a venti non-fat vanilla latte, TV show is Law & Order SVU, holiday is Christmas, and color is red. :-)

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!