SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plantcompost

Velux skylight

plantcompost
17 years ago

I've finished installing 6 windows, a door, a patio slider, a glass block window and am about to tackle a fixed, curb mounted skylight. Then it will be 'the end'.

I'm going with Velux brand because everyone says it's the best BUT Velux has a terrible website that must have been designed by the same guy who provided instructions for that bicycle we had to put together on Christmas Eve. In contrast the website for Pittsburg Corning was incredible...step-by-step animated instructions that made the glass block job a breeze.

End of rant. I have open rafters 24" centers that I want to install a Velux skylight in. Asphalt shingles. Easy access from garage floor, on roof, etc. Velux says 'instructions in box' but I don't have confidence in them after looking at their website.

I'm still not sure of a few steps. When I build the curb for the skylight (2x6) where does it sit? Does it sit on top of the rafters or between the rafters? How is it fastened to the rafters?

Also, is all the metal flashing put on and then the shingles put on, or does a piece of step flashing go on and then a shingle...another piece of flashing and a shingle, etc.?

Any advice is really appreciated. This is probably one of those jobs that if I watched it done once I would be ok but have never had the opportunity to date.

thanks

Comments (10)