SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brandym_gw

Difficult Decision(long)

brandym
21 years ago

Ok let me give you a some details first.

My father remarried when I was 12. They didnt exactly elope because her family knew but my dad did not tell my sister and I about it. We heard about it at school from her niece. Skip forward a few weeks and things had taken a bad turn. My sister and I would cry to our mother to not make us go over there but the court said we had to. When my father was around she would pretty much ignore us. When he left she would go out of her way to say things bad about us and our mother. She and my mom had been friends before and my mother liked the idea of daddy dating her because she seemed nice. So it is not like my mom had ever done anything to her. During the week my stepmother would call us and tell us things that our father had said about us. Things that he would never say in a million years. My sister and I were both good kids. We never got in trouble and always did as we were told. She told anyone who would listen that we were terrible kids who made her life horrible. Her mother actually called my maternal grandmother and asked her to talk to us so we would be nicer to our stepmother. This went on until we told our mother we were not going over there anymore. WE were old enough to make that decision.

When my sister had her child she called our dad and told him. He came to the hospital to see my nephew born but had nothing else to do with him after that. My sister told him he could come over and see him anytime he wanted but he never did. Well, I found out I am pregnant about 3 weeks ago. My husband and I have told both out families about it and are very excited. I havent told my father. That is something I am not sure about. I have already made the decision that his wife is never to have anything to do with my child. I do not want my child to have to go through anything I did. I am debating over whether to tell my dad or just let him hear it through the grapevine. We live in a small town so that will take all of 2 days. I dont want my child to come to me one day and ask why their grandfather doesnt want anything to do with them. My sister has her son call our stepfather his grandfather which he is because he was more of a father than our real father ever was. This is something I never thought i would have to do.

If I do tell my father and he says he wants to be in my baby's life, i am setting rules now so he knows where i stand. I have not seen my father since my nephew was born in october so it has been almost a year. I'm torn between what i feel is best for my child and what i feel is expected. Please give me advice.

Comments (13)