SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
herus_gw

Windows letting in sound - solution

herus
17 years ago

A search did not reveal much on this, so hope someone can help.

Our home is 10 yrs old; we are original occupants. As this was only our second home ever we did not even know this to be a problem until recently; I just thought it was normal. BTW, at the time of purchase, it was touted as a 'qaulity' home from a very well-known regional builder who has a huge (mostly good) reputation in my city.

Now that we are shopping for a new(er) home, I noticed that other homes simply do not let in much sound through, I presume, the windows. We were at one home the other day and some kids were using their swing set next door and looked like they were yelling and having a great time in general. I was SHOCKED that I could *not* hear them much at all... just a slight murmur at best. So much so that I had to step outside to the deck to make sure they weren't actually pretending to be yelling... nope, the sound hit me full force once outside, and it was pretty loud, as you would expect kids of that age to be. (There was no other sound in the area btw.)

This depresses me to no end, as I know this sound outside any of my windows would be so loud and clear I could not work, sleep or do anything. Listening inside other homes bore this out; all or most of them were similarly quiet to that one.

At my home, I hear airplanes, a single car from over 200 feet away (approx distance to street), lawn mowers. Don't even mention dogs, delivery vehicles, and heavy equipment. I can even hear the two large dogs who are INDOORS (and I am inddors too!) and three houses away when they freak out when the mailman comes by.

Last year (when I suspected I was losing energy through the windows), I padded the top of the top sash and the bottom of the bottom sash with strips of foam and applied a bead of caulk to the joint between window (plastic part) and the wood frame. All windows, but I don't think it did anything.

I would really like to fix this problem, not just for us but for the next owner of the home; I really would not like to pass on my problems to someone buying in good faith. Of course, I could disclose this, but that would make the buyers drop like flies. So, the only solution seems to be to fix it.

How?

Comments (7)