SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bluestarrgallery

Ceramic Bowls - How to Mosaic Them ? ? ?'s

bluestarrgallery
16 years ago

Every time I get on this forum I am amazed at all the talented people here. If I could do even half as good as anyone here, I would be happy.

I was at the thrift store the other day and saw these two ceramic bowls unglazed. I thought I would get them and bring them home, glaze them, and have them fired. Once I brought them home I realized if I didn't know what cone the clay was, I wouldn't be able to fire them, because if I fired them too high, they might explode. Here is a photo of one of the bowls:

{{!gwi}}

So last night I was looking at all the wonderful mosaics here and thought, maybe I could mosaic them on the outside and the inside. What do you think?

I have two of them and they are 15 inches in diameter and about 4 inches tall. Oh, I got them for $5 for both (they were supposed to be $5 each, but the lady at the thrift store must have liked me because she gave them both to me for $5). On the bottom of each bowl is a number 284/$46 - so I think they were probably originally $46 at a ceramic mold place?

I have never done any mosaic, so I am truly a beginner. I thought I would do one aqua and one with some polished stones. I have some of those aqua flat bubble things and I have some sea glass, but it is very rough on all sides - I like the color of it though. Or I could go to a tile store or Michaels and get some other stuff. Here is what I have:

{{!gwi}}

What should I adhere the tiles and babbles to the bowl with? Should I use that silicone stuff or something else? Since the bowls are ceramic and unglazed, they are porous and I was wondering if I should coat them with something before I start adhering pieces on them?

Where is the best place to get small quantities of grout? I don't want huge bags of it laying around. Can I color my own grout? Where can I get the colorant?

Here is a link to an inspiration bowl I liked while doing a search on the internet. I would like my aqua bowl to look something like this except mine doesn't have a foot only a small rim at the bottom and isn't as deep. What do you think?

vintage hip chocolate and brown

Any help or ideas will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Comments (5)

Sponsored