SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gio17vani

Help with Ground wire/Bar on squareD QO panel

gio17vani
17 years ago

Wanted to add a few lines to my box in a new house and started wondering why there seemed to be no main ground wire to speak of and began to worry.

The box looks to be the same as at local HD 100amp QO panel with 32 spaces.

The mains coming in are of course the 2 hots and neutral which I see where the neutral connects to a split branch? with 2 rows of screwdowns on each side all connected by the same bus. Each side has 2 bars, 1 situated above and farther to the left/right of the lower one on both sides of the panel.

As it is now the neutrals are all connected to the bottom bar on both sides and the ground wires connected to the upper/outward bar. What I don't see is a main 6 or 4 gauge ground wire connecting to anything. Although coiled above the panel there is a braided group of maybe 4-6 wires that may equal 4 or 6 gauge wire if that is possible to use them that way?

My question is whether or not that braided wire should be connected to the panel or if a separate ground bar needs to be added or if everything is fine the way it is with the neutrals and grounds on separate bars but connected to the same bus that the main neutral is connected to. The panel appears quite new but I hate to assume all was done by a licensed pro and then be sol later.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Comments (2)