SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marilano

General contractor vs. window company?

marilano
14 years ago

I'd like to replace my 35-year old aluminum sliders (and a couple of small picture windows) and patio doors now both because of the federal tax credit and because our HOA will be painting our townhouses next month. I also have termite damage and dry rot around some of the windows (and elsewhere). I'll probably go with Milgard Style Line for the Windows and Milgard Classic for the doors, which the contractor can provide, although I'm also considering Simonton 7300 (since I'd like a narrower frame) from the window company. I've gotten a bid for the windows and doors from the general contractor I hired to replace some of the siding and trim, and I've also gotten a bid from a couple of window companies (with good reputations). The contractor's prices are quite a bit lower for the windows (compared to the other Milgard estimates) and a little better for the doors. I'm wondering, though, whether I'm likely to get better installation from a company that specializes in windows rather than from a general contractor's crew. So far, it seems like the contractor's workers are doing a good job, but removing and replacing siding is different from removing and replacing windows. (P.S. I'll be getting new construction windows since a few windows now leak). What do others think about which kind of company does the installation? If you have any advice on Simonton vs. Milgard, too, I'd appreciate that. Thanks in advance. marilano

Comments (4)