SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
suebob1_gw

Marvins v.Jeld Wyn v Weather Shield

suebob1
14 years ago

My main concern is performance and rot. I have these great wooden windows circa 1946 and they were in great shape but have to be replaced due to fire. I had the 1980s storms on them as well. I have had no problems and don't want to start now.

They were not very sound proof. The upstairs windows were replaced with wood in 1986 and they performed well but look rough because tenants did not use the storms. The exterior on those has not held up at all even with the storms. The fire has caused these performing windows upstairs to fail as well.

I want a performance window and would do vinyl upstairs if they will perform better and wood down. The look of the home is very important to me so that is what keeps pushing me back to wood but I am concerned about the way they are constructed and the wood and the finish etc is currently an inferior product.

What has been recommended so far:

Jeld Wen Siteline Clad DH Sashpack One set of four has 7/8 Bead SDL low e What is a shadow bar?

and Siteline EX Clad Casement low e, preserve film,argon, glass thick=0.6995 4 9/16 jamb, 4/4 Thick DP 35

sunroom Builders Clad Casement pine interior, White exterior, nail fin 4 9/16 jamb DP 35, Insulate Low e Annealed Glass, argon,

Marvin: Double Hung tilt pack

Low e with argon standard bevel Sash lock pine interior (I have since requested fir)Clad exterior &

2 Mark Unit C CM-RH and LH 1G 1 LITE, low e w/argon, nailing finn a 9/16" jamb pine interior clad exteror

7/8" SDL std cut 3wide and 2 high clad ext BA pine interior

standard bevel

It looks like they used the tilt packs throughout with casement and I see a C UDH not sure what that is.

Also notice the wood ULtrex series CA RH IG-1 LITE LoE-366 w/argon AF HDWE Pine interiro and Stone Whit Exteriorfor the sunroom.

The Weather shield rep said all casements upstairs and wood replacement downstairs. Aluminum clad.

He sells Atrium too and ours come from the factory in Dallas. Would this be an option and what do I have to do to keep them from looking vinyl?

Are there questions you would ask the Marvin guy or Weather Shield guy? Meeting with both in the next day or so.

Comments (8)