SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
temblor

What windows to use with this Arts & crafts American Craftsman

temblor
15 years ago

I am building a new basement under this American Craftsman Arts & crafts home. (I saved it from being torn down and moved it to my property)

I am only putting new windows in the basement.

I am putting (2) 6x4 or 5x4 windows in the front, directly under the original large Arts & crafts picture windows.

The house faces west so it would be nice to have windows that open to get a nice breeze in the summer.

Regarding the existing "main floor" windows (which are all staying):

The "front door" is made up of colonial windows. I do not believe they are original, unfortunately.

The "sides and back of the house" has "Queen Anne" style single hung windows and a couple picture windows.

The "front of the house" Has very large (3) 90"x58" Arts & crafts leaded windows.

Regarding the new basement windows for the FRONT of the house;

If I use Q.A on the basement front & center I will have three styles colliding.

Colonial door entry, arts & crafts pictures & Q.A.

So, I am now exploring the idea of replicating the Arts and crafts leaded windows for use in the front of the basement. I am leaning towards solid wood, Non clad, Doug fir. I will have "replica lead" attached to the inside.

"Lindal" windows (a local company to me) does a good job with this lead replica process. It definitely looks better than internal grids! It had me fooled! it feels (from the inside) and looks like real lead work.

I can not afford authentic leaded windows.

I plan on staining the inside and painting the outside frame.

So my question to you pros out there is this:

What style should I use Front and center on the new basement windows?

#1 Should I use side by side, double hung with Q.A. grids?

#2 Single hung with Q.A Grids

#3 Single Hung with Lead replica work?

#4 Picture windows with the Lead replica work?

Please help! Any input on the style choice would be appreciated!

Please no discussion on quality unless you can recommend a window company that can make solid Doug fir windows with lead work that can meet my budget.

Lindal does a 4x5 picture window solid wood Doug fir straight grain with Low E and grids not primed for $460

I am not so concerned with maintenance on the wood, because the new windows are at ground level & the 2 front windows will have 4 ft of overall overhang. The rest of the house has 2 ft overhang.

Regarding the back half of the house;

The upstairs kitchen and attic expansion dormers have vinyl windows with Q.A. grids. According to my budget, I will probably use vinyl with Q.A. grids in the "rear half" of the new basement.

How do I post pictures?

Include your email with responses and I will email you photos!

Comments (2)