SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mom2emall

babysitting etiquette

mom2emall
15 years ago

I have a question about babysitting.

My middle sd's friend lives with her dad. Her dad works a lot of hours. During the school year the girl was here a lot to play afterschool and during the summer she spent lots of time at our house. She was left home with an older sibling babysitting all day and the sibling kind of tried to get her to go to friends houses a lot. Really was not a big deal because my sd loved hanging out with her and she is a good girl.

The older sibling joined some activities so she is not always home lately to babysit. So the dads girlfriend called me one day and asked about me babysitting a few days last week because they have not begun school yet. I asked about the times and she said that the dad would get the daughter by 3 each day. I told her that worked perfect because I had to get older sd to practice at 5 each day and I usually used that time to run errands and go on bike rides or do some type of exercise with the other 3 kids.

Anyways the first day I watched the girl I ended up having her call her dads cell around 4:30 because he was not here yet. I ended up talking to him and he said he does not get home till 8pm and has no idea why his girlfriend said 3? So I said I could keep her till 8 that day. He offered to pay me extra, but I told him it was not a big deal because her and my sd are friends. Next day the girl comes over and says her dad will be here by 3 because they are going to a baseball game that starts at 5. 4 o'clock comes around and I have her call her dads cell and he tells her to just go home. So I walk her home and she stayed home alone??

So I was confused about this and wanted to talk to her dad because I am supposed to babysit her the next 2 days. I walked to her house this evening and talked to her dad and told him I was confused about the times and she could stay here until he got home. I said I was confused about her going home alone the other day and she was more than welcome to stay here until he got home. He said it was no big deal and if there was an emergency she knows other people in the neighborhood. The way he said it just bothered me. I asked if she was still coming over the next 2 days and he said yes. I again told him she could stay till he got home. He said ok and then I left.

So I am confused on what the deal was with the times and why the cold attitude. I have spoken to him many times before and he was always much friendlier than this time.

Did I do something wrong here?

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Preferred Architectural Firm | Best of Houzz Winner