SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dallasauburn

Dallas Casements

DallasAuburn
13 years ago

We are rebuilding an existing home in Dallas, TX.-- keeping the foundation and perimeter walls and going up. So, not sure if our new windows would be considered "remodel" or "new construction". I do not have the roll up of window sizes yet, but the number of windows we need is 29. Our budget is around 12.5k for windows -- is this a pittance? Our builder is pushing casement windows, and I really do not understand why. He says he likes the depth of casements (glass sits deeper within the wall) and he recommends SunShield (Don Young) that are made locally -- vinyl in and out, though he has also recommended Certainteed. I have a sample window at home (sunshield), and the only thing that stands out to me as a negative in terms of aesthetics is that the frame of the window is SIGNIFICANT (>2.5"). Perhaps this is just a byproduct of casements? However, I could be looking at a crap window and would not know.

From my searches on this forum, the review is mixed for Don Young and for Certainteed. Is there another window manufacturer in my area that might be comparable that I could compare that would meet my budget?

Also, I am trying to get a grasp of the range in prices in windows. What is considered cheap, moderate, expensive and outrageous? For us, windows make or break the exterior, so if we have the grow the budget moderately, we would probably do that.

Thank you for your insight.

Comments (8)