SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vtcottage_gw

Green Mountain Windows vs. Boston Sash & Millwork

vtcottage
15 years ago

We are building an addition to our 1930's cottage/bungalow style home and are hoping to purchase windows that are close to the style of the home's original windows. The original windows are double hung 6/1 true divided light with 7/8" wide muntins. On the interior side of the windows the muntins also protrude 7/8" from the window pane glass. The lower portion of the sash (i.e. the single pane of glass without muntins) has the same detail pattern of the muntins.

We have ruled out Marvin windows because they could not get close to the original windows for a reasonable price (i.e. under $1,000 per window). I don't like Marvin's standard muntin style and so would have had to go with the expensive Signature series. In addition, the lower portion of the sash has no nice detailing, it is just a plain rounded edge.

Green Mountain Windows seems to offer the best and most historic looking all wood window for a reasonable price. I've heard from a couple of builders and our local lumber yard that their customer service is horrible and that the windows are not good quality. Does anyone have experience with these windows?

With regard to Boston Sash, I've heard positive things about this company and a Marvin distributor actually recommended them to me. Does anyone have experience working with this company and what is the quality of the windows?

Thanks for any help!

Comments (16)