SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yarrow2006

Help- stepmom to special needs child.

yarrow2006
16 years ago

Hi, I'm new here. I need a shoulder and some support. I am so stressed out. Beleive me, I already feel like I'm not a good step mom, or mother sometimes. I'm the mom to a 10 yr old autistic boy who also has adhd and some other medical problems. I have 2 children also from a prev. marriage who both have adhd. Please dont flame me about how bad a step mom I am. please.

When we were dating and first married, my stepson visited every other wkend. In the last couple of years it became him living with us full time and visiting his mom every other weekend. His mom died this year. We can only imagine this must be very hard for him. He does talk some and express wanting certain foods and movies, but not much else. He is still not potty trained, but this is not terribly unusual for an autistic child. When his mom was living he would occasionaly say he wanted to go see her. Since she died he doesnt mention her, so maybe he understands. We put a picture of her by his bed.

Before I get jumped on, though we knew he was "slow" when we got married, he had not been diagnosed as autistic or adhd. At that age (2) he didnt speak or act up, or do anything yet for himself. The older he gets, the harder it is. He gets into everything if not supervised 24/7. He breaks things like electronics, tears up books, etc. He's staying part of the day this summer with his grandmother- husband's mother, who gives him whatever he wants. He eats a very narrow range of things, like yogurt, potato chips, chicken tenders from one fast food place, pudding, bologna sometimes. we have given up on trying to get him to eat healthily. Grandma gives him whatever he wants, though his doctor says that sugar makes him have loose stools. It's really unpleasant to clean him after he soils himself. We try taking him to the potty hourly, but he doesnt want to poop in the toilet.

He screams and cries when he doesnt get what he wants. His father tells me to spank him, but if I discipline him with time out or raise my voice, he gets onto me. He would leave it all on me if I let him. My 2 kids make it all harder.

Mother in law is very verbal about what she thinks I ought to do and how to do it, and in her eyes, I'm not getting much right. She critiques his clothing, if his socks dont match, though both white, she will sure let me know about it.

SS behaviour is getting harder and harder to deal with. lots of verbal noises ALL the time, demanding, touching himself all the time, I just feel like I cant take it anymore!

Comments (13)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES