SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tamar_422

Forgot to add - the family camping trip

tamar_422
16 years ago

In my haste, I forgot to mention the family camping trip that is part of the "graduation" process at the treatment center where SS is residing. When he is released at the end of the month, there is a 3-day program. First day of the program is counseling sessions just for parents. Next two days consist of outdoor camping. This will give the child an opportunity to show the parents the character and esteem-building skills they have learned.

Since SS wants to come home to live with us, DH would like me to attend. BioMom is very excited, and would also like me to attend, as she has said, "DH hates me and won't be nice to me. At least you'll talk to me." She has been saying to SS in the last several letters she has written that she knows the cause of SS's self-mutiliation - it's his attempts to get mom and dad back together. Son has flatly denied this, saying mom is alone in thinking this.

I do not have any interest in attending the camping portion. My idea of roughing it is to stay at a 3 star hotel. I hate bugs, especially mosquitos, plus this will happen during the first week of school back home. It will be a hectic time, to say the least, and my parents will have to stay with the kids. I would like to attend the first day counseling session, which means I will miss my 5 yo DS's first day of kindergarten (Montessori - thanks, Sweeby), but I think it's probably more important in the long run to do this for SS.

I don't have a problem with DH camping with son and his ex. But I will admit to feeling a little irritated, given the most recent information about SS not liking me or my personality. I feel like I really don't want to have to sacrifice DS's first day of kindergarten, not to have mention making travel arrangements for my parents to come and stay, and for myself to get to Asheville, NC, as well. Does this make me a bad stepmom?

Comments (21)