SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sfvboy

Sandblasting - Painted T&G Beam ceiling w/water stain stains

SFVBoy
19 years ago

I posted this on the remodeling forum but though here might be a good as well. My house was built in 1951 and has a 12-foot vaulted T&G beamed ceiling in the living room. The previous owner had the ceiling sandblasted to lighten the dark (mahogany color) stain on the wood. Unfortunately a year or so before they sold it to me they had a roof leak and some water stain damage. They fixed the roof leak (I have subsequently replaced the entire roof) and decided to paint the ceiling white. Interestingly enough the ceiling has taken on a "pickled" look - meaning the oils from the wood have seeped through the paint in places causing the paint to mottle and look mocha colored  it is actually quite nice looking for an "accident". You can now see the place where the water damage is  though it looks like most of the other grain mottling that has taken place. In any event, my question is I would really like to once again return the ceiling to its natural wood state and sand blast the ceiling. If I sandblast the beams and ceiling will the sandblasting not only remove the paint but hopefully the water stain damage? I have a contractor coming out tomorrow for a quote and am going to question him about this but though I would get some advice from you guys here first

Comment (1)