SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ryangw_gw

Replacement windows - best type - Southwest Michigan

ryangw
9 years ago

Backstory - I purchased a home which was built in 1978, all the windows in the home are tall Casement windows, The majority of the windows are on the East and West Sides of the house. The North and West sides of the house are showing severe signs of wood rot and in some cases the frame around the glass is coming apart.

I'm now looking for replacement windows, and I see that there are a variety of types out there Clad-wood (some seem "clad" with aluminum; fiberglass; or vinyl), Vinyl Windows, and Fiberglass windows.

I've read through other message threads here and it seems that the type recommended varies based on climate. So My primary question is what is the best type for this area? I've seen some people mention that clad-wood eventually leaks and then rots (since I'm currently having rot as an issue that seems bad) but I don't know what the typical # of years is before that sort of failure happens.

My next question would be what brands should I be looking at - I don't plan on selling anytime soon. From looking at other threads it looks like the various brands related to "Marvin" seem popular to recommend, but their similar names and possibly overlapping model names seem to have me confused.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments (12)