SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alexz_gw

Average/reasonable warrenty length of time for 'seal failure'?

alexz
17 years ago

Hello all.

I bought my house about 8 months ago - during the winter. It has two 51" H by 61" W double-paned picture windows. There was some condensation on the windows when I bought it, but condesation is fairly common in the winter and I didn't think twice about it. There is now a beyond-significant amount of condensation between the two panes. The view through these windows is one of the best features of this little house. Currently, it sucks.

On the inside of the window between the two panes is stamped "AFGD Knoxville, 3-29-99". I searched the internet and found that this company is still in business. Since this stamp is in between the two panes, I'm interpretting it as the date the panes were sealed.

I've read a lot about windows on the internet today and found the following: "For example, many window manufacturers offer a 10- or 20-year "seal failure" warranty." My windows are a little over 7 years old. So I'm hoping that this applies to me.

Has anybody else had this problem? Is it reasonable to expect that this company should at least help me solve the problem? In your experiences, were the manufacturers or retailers coorperative? Were you the home owner when the windows were installed? If not, did they attempt to deny the warranty based on that fact?

I'm just wanting to be armed with as much knowledge and perspective as possible before I pick up the phone.

Alex

Comment (1)