SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lilysuzanne40

help with stepmother

lilysuzanne40
21 years ago

I'm nearly at the end of my rope. My dad remarried about 8 months ago. The first couple of months, after he met my stepmother, were very hard. My mother had only been gone a year when they met and my stepmother was married to someone else at the time. She got a divorce and they were married very quickly, but the transition was hard. I tried to explain that it wasn't because of anything she'd done, that I was just mourning my mom still and asked her to give me time. I never said any mean things to her and always tried to be respectful. I'm very glad my Dad is happy now and don't want their marriage to end, but she seems to take delight in creating distance between my Dad and his kids. I used to talk to my Dad once a week at least. Now I'm lucky if I hear from him once a month. She screens their phone calls and sometimes I wonder if she even tells him that we've called. I have found out from other people in the family that she makes hurtful, mean remarks about myself and some of my siblings. She is very territorial and seems to regard my Dad as "hers" now. I don't want to take him away from her, but I would like to have a relationship with him and her as well. She seems to have my Dad's ear and is using it to erode his relationship with his children. I'm afraid, at this point, to do or say anything for fear of making things worse, but I cry myself to sleep nearly every night. Help!!! I've already lost my mother. I don't want to lose my Dad too.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor